Help needed 240v to 120v

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

My mum recently purchased new fan ceiling lights for her home but she got them from USA withour realising the differences in voltage. I've been looking online for step down transformers but the only types I seem to be able to find are plug in, not in line. Does anyone know the best way to resolve this issue?

I've also contacted the supplier but they couldn't help.

Thanks
Stephen

Sponsored Links
I would personally send them back or dump them and get the correct 240 volt version here. Lesson learnt.
Don't forget the frequency is different as well which may or may not matter.

That's the final outcome but I'd like to see if it's possible first.

Sponsored Links
There is also a chance the motor will overheat if used on 50Hz. As above, I'd get rid of it and buy something suitable for the UK electric supply.

What wattage are they? If you include lamps then a 100VA transformer may be undersized.
As others have said, send them back to the US and buy something suitable for the UK.

What bulbs are fitted, for the Edison screw we use E27 and I think they use 28 mm so it may be more than the fan which has a problem. It is likely you would need to re-wire so the bulb and fan are independent. Because of the frequency change likely you will need 110 volt not 120 volt the standard way would be with what is called an auto transformer, these are cheap, but getting one is another thing, years ago we used fluorescent lamps in industry which were really 230 volt but inside them there was a auto transformer which stepped up the voltage, these would work either way around, but today they use a switch mode ballast so these cheap transformers are no longer used in high volume. There are still some around, but the price means no longer a viable method. They are still sold in USA and you would have the problem of buying from USA. Just not worth it for a fan. Buy a British one.

As I expected really. The problem is they're really nice and quite expensive, postage is around £25 each.

I was thinking of possibly swapping the motor with a UK version, but not sure if it's feasible or where to get replacements. I did contact one company but they couldn't help.

I'm also trying to figure out how to wire them with a Transformer in line. There are 3 fans and they're on a ring so I'm assuming it would need 2?

A picture of the motor and the label might help to identify a suitable replacement. Alternatively it is possible to run some types of 120 volt motor on 230 volt supply using a capacitor to limit the power to that which the motor can handle safely.

Putting a capacitor in series with an inductive load like a motor is likely to increase the current not decrease it.

I'm also trying to figure out how to wire them with a Transformer in line. There are 3 fans and they're on a ring so I'm assuming it would need 2?

You mean a transformer at each end of the ring? No!

(Why are they on a ring?)

On a ring? Rings are only used for sockets. Please clarify with a diagram.

They should really still be in their boxes as they unsuitable for 240 volts.

I run a US 120V 60Hz motor on occasion in the UK, however I found that it overheated on 110V 50Hz from a normal step-down transformer like you can buy for the purpose, It runs OK on 90V 50Hz, but this sort of transformer is not going to be easy to install or cheap to buy and make suitable/safe for a domestic installation.
The light part should be easy enough to work with, if its a different fitting, you could replace the adapter to fit a UK lamp. If its a fluorescent type however it would require more parts.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back