Help! New porches do not look right.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi, I just had new rear porches done for a 3 unit building in MA. All work for these porches were new. See attached pix. The main wooden posts sit on, not in, the concrete footings. Is this standard practice? That's my main concern because the porch doesn't seem secure. In another pic, the concrator put in a piece of wood under the main post because the posts were too short ( see pic ). This looks all wrong but the town inspector signed off on the work. I couldn't believe it. I still hold the final installment. I do not feel I owe it to the contractor. Please le me know what you think of this work, and what I should do. Thanks.

Attachments

• Porch 2.jpg
    Porch 2.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 297
  • Porch 3.jpg
    Porch 3.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 276
  • Porch.jpg
    Porch.jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 292
  • porch 6.jpg
    porch 6.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 291
Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Oldwinger78, good evening.

Good and bad news?
You may not realise it But? this site is based in the United Kingdom ? and as such the answers given on this site tend to be related to UK matters and the Do it Yourself culture.

Having typed all the above.

Obviously, the input you may get from this site cannot reflect the numerous different [what I believe are referred to as] "Building Codes" and more especially the processes involved in obtaining approval for the completed work? simply put, we speak and type "English" but when it breakes down to regulatory building matters there is a large difference in what happens in the processes.

OK.

Now lets cut to the chase?

The Images you have posted are verging on being unbelievable, the truly terrible workmanship completely transcends even the North Atlantic Ocean !

Bluntly. There is a very high probability that you are being ripped off?

I strongly advise that you do NOT pay any further installments to the Contractor until such time as a "Qualified Person" within the confines of your Country approves the work, Sorry if I am not being clear here, but I and probably everyone on this board have no understanding of building Control and approvals in the USA?

Sorry to take so long to say the work you have been left with is.
1/ Not acceptable.
2/. Well below any standard I can think of.
3/. Needs to be looked at and approved by a "Competent third party" who understands how things work in the USA.

Probably not what you were hoping to hear?

Ken.

Not sure what your weather conditions are like over there, but do you have any high winds that will shift the posts that haven't been fixed down. The inspector isn't worried about how bad it looks, but he shouldn't have signed it off without the posts being fixed into what I assume are the concrete suppots.

You know the works shoddy from the pictures you've posted. They should replace the short post, redo the joined post, and reposition the central post in the second picture. In the thirs picture, they should replace the board that's too short, and if they are not prepared to do it, then you withold the final payment to get someone else to correct it. And I'd query the inspector as to why he signed off on the unfixed posts.

Sponsored Links
Oldwinger 78,

The porch is obviously unsafe and not fit for purpose. Dont go on it or allow the porch deck to be used for any purpose.

Much propping might be needed while remedial repairs take place - in fact, you might be looking at a complete demolition of the porch and a re-build - not just repairs to the sono tubes & post base connectors.

The rim joist connections are wrong and unsafe - & how the deck is connected to the house might also be an issue? As it stands, that deck could shear away from the house due to wind pressure or loading.

If you live in a rural area or small town then the Mass Building Code will still apply & you could apply to a larger jurisdiction, ie a county or large town, for another inspection.
FWIW: I dont believe for a minute that your porch was passed by a licensed inspector.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back