help - rsj for loft conversion

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
new to forum just went to order rsj for loft conversion and have realised that the architect and building inspector did not realise that the roof actually starts in 1st floor bedrooms (slightly sloped ceiling) so i dint know what im supposed to do if i put the rsjs where it says on the plans it will be sticking out of my roof, if i go by the original roofing plate i would have to remove the ceilings but im not sure how i would do that without making the roof collapse. HELP PLEASE ASAP (architect on his hols typically so cant contact him) :evil:

Sponsored Links
if the architect is away and there is no-one in his practice who can help (e.g. were the plans drawn up by a draughtsman or engineer?), consult the BCO.

Show him revised and accurate drawings and measurements and expain how they are different from what was used before.

Sounds to me like it is the architects fault, unless for some reason he was relying solely on information from you.

hi thanx for the quick reply it was a draugtsman cost me £700 he came out and measured etc. sorry being really thick now whats a BCO

Someone must have designed the beam - I doubt it was the architect.

Sponsored Links
BCO = Building Control Officer

as far as I can see the same as we used to call a Building Inspector

Some of us still do - but they hate being called a BI, for some reason :)

It sounds like the existing wall plate is below the first floor ceiling line. You will need to speak to your structural engineer and ask him to design a cranked beam system.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back