Henrad 40FF

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I have a henrad 40FF (this is an ideal boiler not sure exactly which model). If anyone can tell me the ideal boiler model this would also be useful.
I am having a problem with it starting up, when I turn on the pump for either the hot water or central heating then it starts the pumps etc. but does not fire up (Pico auto lighting unit) the problem seems to be a lack of gas being supplied as though it isn't detecting something.
It starts after removing a red pipe attached to inside of case, and sucking and blowing a couple of times on the red rubber tube, I never do this with the boiler or pump running, in case this could cause a problem.
It usually takes 2 or 3 attempts to get it fired up but once it is fired up then it stays on fine until it has provided enough either hot water or the central heating has reached the desired temperature.
The turning on and off of the knob has subsequently worn this out and I now need to get a spare (shouldn't be a problem as I know a guy in the factory at Ideal).
Any thoughts on the non ignition would be greatly appreciated.
About 5 seconds after the pump starts there is a like buzz for a few seconds from the boiler which I believe is the igniter trying.

Sponsored Links
I think this will be a version of the Classic FF.

The buzzing sounds like a relay sticking on the pcb to me.

gas4you said:
I think this will be a version of the Classic FF.

The buzzing sounds like a relay sticking on the pcb to me.

Looks like it may be a minimiser FF 40, dad found manual thankfully, found some useful info some people suggesting replacing the pcb 37 with a pcb 41.

Some people suggesting this boiler can suffer from lockout.
Suggestions to get serviced and get engineer to :-
1. Adjust spark gap to 5mm
2. ensure detection probe is aligned with burner ports.
3. Increase burner pressure by 1mb
4. Remove the pcb 37 and fit a pcb 41.

ANy other thoughts ?

I would call Ideal about changing the pcb. I don't know these boilers very well, but usually an upgraded pcb would keep the same number but increase the letter after it, ie pcb41a - pcb41b etc.

Still think buzzing would be a relay.

Sponsored Links
weirdly it seems to all be fine now, possibly just needs a service.

Its firing up 1st time everytime again, saw that a common fault with the minimisers is some form of build up on the burner plate - "you get a build up of aluminium hydroxide ash on the burner plate".

Can anyone advise exactly what the red tube is for and what sucking or blowing down this tube does ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back