High Pitch Beeping

Sponsored Links
Did you try the gas meter? Anything electrical tends to make intermittent beeps, not continuous tones.

Copied from Bedfordshire On Sunday Newspaper September 6th 2009

http://www.bedsonsunday.com/bedsonsunday-letters/

Sir – Andrew Cameron's brush with the dreaded ‘beeping' frog has been similar to our own.

We first heard the noise about two months ago. We initially assumed it came from inside our house as it appeared to be an electrical sound.

My wife and I searched high and low to locate the source, even checking our smoke alarms and mobile phone batteries to no avail.

I even turned off my electricity at the mains to see if it came from that source.

No such luck! By a process of elimination we decided that the sound emanated from outside.

But from where outside? As the noise only occurred after dusk it was difficult to determine. I even thought it might be local kids having a laugh.

It must have been strange to our neighbours to see us outside with torches trying to locate an intermittent sound.

We eventually found what appeared to be the location. It was coming from the external gas meter which is located at ground level.

I opened it but could not find anything that could possibly ‘beep', but decided that in the interests of safety, I would call the gas emergency service.

Along came TRANSCO, very promptly.

The engineer gave me a funny look when I told him the problem as there was nothing in the meter which was in the faintest way electrical.

He decided that it might be an intermittently noisy meter and decided to change it.

That night there were no more ‘beeps'.

My wife and I, on our evening walks, heard a number of ‘beeps' coming from other houses and wondered if they too had faulty meters. For four days (or nights) we heard no ‘beeps'.

Then, (you guessed it) there it was again! Out we went with torches blazing.

The meter cover, as I mentioned, is at ground level.

There is a gap between the housing and the wall of about two inches.

I shone my torch into the gap and noticed some leaves had collected there. I could just get my hand in and I grabbed them when something jumped.

It was a yellowy-green toad about an inch and a half long.

He (or she) lives there. We think it must be a mating call.

The ‘beeps' continued for a few weeks then stopped. We think he (or she) got lucky!.

Mr Cameron – it will stop eventually.

We just hope the family produced don't start up a choir.

Knowing what it was made it less annoying.

Sponsored Links
On a similar note about outside beeps, those bloody cat repellents that work by emiting "inaudible" noise can sometimes be heard when its quiet out. They have a similar system in use outside convenience stores to disperse youths, as young people can hear it (im 23 i han hear it). But they have to have a 20 minute in the hour limit on it for noise laws. I expect similar laws on these cat ones, as they do produce some audible noise. But they just seem to go constantly. :evil: :evil: :evil:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back