Hillbilly Elegy

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Watched it on Netflix (again) the other night, good story. Thought it would be worth a re-watch given JD Vance is likely to be the next Vice President.
Dodgy views on abortion aside, he seems quite a guy, a refreshing change.

Sponsored Links
Quite a guy? Yeah, ignore the abortion total ban stuff that doesn't apply to rich people, the 180 he did on Trump; and the fact he says he'd have done Donnie's bidding on J6th. Yeah a generally honourable man.

Quite a guy? Yeah, ignore the abortion total ban stuff that doesn't apply to rich people, the 180 he did on Trump; and the fact he says he'd have done Donnie's bidding on J6th. Yeah a generally honourable man.

I'll change my mind if I find out he's taken millions in bribes from Ukranian oil companies.

Sponsored Links
Someone should start a thread in what they’ve watched on TV….

You have to excuse JD Vance, he's Scots Irish.

He ticks all the boxes for membership of the tribe.
He is anti abortion.
He loves Israel.
He served in the military.
He is always going about how much he loves his country.

I still wasn't sure about him until he fondly recalled how his old Granny stashed 19 loaded handguns around the house.
That's when I knew he was definitely a member of the tribe of Ulster.

Last edited:
Maybe it can be likened to the recent situation here. If Trump gets in, maybe it's more to do with a weak Democratic opposition ... and leader ;)

The venture capital firm he founded in 2019 is named Narya, named after one of those other rings that Gandalf wears. Vance’s mentor Peter Thiel similarly named his company Palantir after the crystal ball used by Saruman in Lord of the Rings, and Vance has invested in the defense startup Anduril, named after Aragorn’s sword.

He's more of a Hillbilly Hobbit....a confused crusader, really.

Within hours of Donald Trump announcing the Ohio senator JD Vance as his running mate in the presidential race, a rather lurid accusation cropped up on social media.

The user of a since-deleted X account wrote last month, “can’t say for sure but he might be the first vp pick to have admitted in a ny times bestseller to ****ing an inside-out latex glove shoved between two couch cushions (vance, hillbilly elegy, pp. 179-181).”

87770641-0-image-a-2_1721926904641.jpg

The couch debacle only underscored Vance’s overall dismal introduction to the country after his somewhat forgettable speech at the Republican national convention last month [and he] enters the final 100-day stretch of the election season as one of the most unpopular running mates in recent history. According to a CNN analysis, Vance is the least liked non-incumbent vice-presidential nominee since 1980.

I read a bit more about him in the Times Magazine and it seems he's no more a Hillbilly than Fillybilly - In the book, Vance leaned into his family roots in eastern Kentucky, even though he was raised in an Ohio city near Cincinnati...

Sponsored Links
Back