Hitachi circular saw, got wet, what now?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My shed's been leaking, I ignored my own usual advice and failed to maintain the roof!

I knew there was a little leak, but after coming back from holiday, and with all that rain we've had, I went to investigate and found a big split in the felt. Water has been getting in and has managed to avoid all the crap and old knackered tools, preferring instead to drip all over my Hitachi PSU-9

The blade is now rusty, some water dribbled it of it, the blade won't turn by hand, but I'm not sure if it's supposed to??
I'm going to leave it in the airing cupboard for a week before even thinking about plugging it in.

What can I do to give it a fighting chance of surviving this ordeal?

Anything I should take apart? Any parts I should replace? Anything I can spray into it?

Sponsored Links
It may have a brake that is preventing it being turned although I've never had a circular saw with a blade brake. I would spray liberal quantities of WD 40 into it and let it sit for a couple or three days and see what happens. The rusty blade can be removed and cleaned up with emery cloth or a 0 wire wool.

My shed's been leaking, I ignored my own usual advice and failed to maintain the roof!

I knew there was a little leak, but after coming back from holiday, and with all that rain we've had, I went to investigate and found a big split in the felt. Water has been getting in and has managed to avoid all the crap and old knackered tools, preferring instead to drip all over my Hitachi PSU-9

The blade is now rusty, some water dribbled it of it, the blade won't turn by hand, but I'm not sure if it's supposed to??
I'm going to leave it in the airing cupboard for a week before even thinking about plugging it in.

What can I do to give it a fighting chance of surviving this ordeal?

Anything I should take apart? Any parts I should replace? Anything I can spray into it?
It will probably be ok, I once had a factory and one section caught fire from next door. The fire crew used their hoses on the fire which all ran down onto a live 3 phase consumer unit, amazingly after drying out the MCBs and rewiring it all worked afterwards

Sponsored Links
It will probably be ok, I once had a factory and one section caught fire from next door. The fire crew used their hoses on the fire which all ran down onto a live 3 phase consumer unit, amazingly after drying out the MCBs and rewiring it all worked afterwards

I had a bank, with 3-phase, incomer, meters, gas an'all, all installed in the basement. Just before Christmas, unknown to staff, the basement flooded, due to a water main leak. All of that lot, ended up several feet under water, with the bank staff completely unaware. It took the entire period from Christmas through to New Year to pump out, me supervising the operation, whilst the bank continued to operate.

Once it was all pumped out and dry, a month or so later, meters, and all MCB's were all replaced. MCB's might still work, but they rust internally, no reason to replace any wiring, that was all inspected and had dried out just fine.

its worth mentioning the motor is geared down perhaps 2 or 3 times so a 1kg turn force at your finger tips will be reduced to perhaps 350-500g effort

Thanks all, OK, blade now moves and is removed, impact wrench got it going.

Given it a clean and a spray, fingers crossed!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back