Honda G300 Engine for Boat Winch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I have a Honda G300 engine that I would like to use to turn a boat winch
to pull my boat up the beach.

The only problem I have is that as soon as the engine is pull started it rotates the shaft and starts to turn the winch immediatly.

Is there a way I could start the engine and the shaft would stay idle until the I increase the the revs with the throttle to pull my boat up the beach?

Any ideas anyone?

Sponsored Links
There is a centrifugal clutch available that fits G series engines (I had one in the 80's).
Better consult a Honda engine dealer or even Honda direct for advice on parts availability.
John :)

Thanks John

Does anyone know where I can get a secondhand centrifugal clutch for this Honda G300 engine?
Or is there any other alternative?

What I need is some sort of secondhand Centrifugal Clutch with a pulley that would slot over the external Drive shaft and would engage when the acceleration is increased.

Does anyone know or have anything like this to do this job?

Thanks
Paul

Another approach would be to drive the winch with a V belt. Have a tensioner that you only tighten when you want the winch to work. Like on the rideon lawnmower drives.
Only place you will get a secondhand centrifugal clutch is on a chainsaw, and they will be to small.

Sponsored Links
G series have been out of production for ages, the GX replaced them, but maybe have a look at a go cart spares supplier, they use clutches and the hp is about the same - your G300 is i think 7hp, the standard honda kart engine is 5.5 or 6.5, something like that anyway.

Back