How can you compress dense foam

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi. I have a large kayak that uses 3 parallel dense foam bolsters under the floor to make it easier to stand on. They are about 24" long, 8" high and 4" wide.

One of them tipped over. It was very difficult to remove it since space is tight. I applied soapy water and wet the interior. After a struggle it came out of the rear hatch.

Trying to get it back in is another matter. The bolster bottom and sides are flat while the top follows the contour of the deck. I spoke to the manufacturer (Jackson) who said that the boat expands and changes shape so it can be work to put it back in.

I was close to success, but there is a 2" elevated part at the top rear that has to pass under a dip in the hull. I could NOT muscle it through. So two possibilities...

1. Shave foam from the bottom to allow it to compress. This is my last resort.

2. I'd rather compress it somehow and the let it expand when in place. I only need to compress the 2" rise that is about 5" in long. How can I do that?

It will be work to get it out again so I need a good plan. Would an expanding car-jack make sense? Anything else?

Sponsored Links
Think I got it. A bread knife to shave off a wedge shape from the bottom rear, up to about 2 inchs. Then slide the bolster under since it will give easily. Add glue to the removed part and place it to dry, since the remaining foam already passed under tight area.

Hope someone need to do something remotely like this one day :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back