How difficult is it to install outside front door lights?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We are looking to install some mains powered outdoor up/down lights on either side of our front door. How big of a job is it? And is there any advice on how to route the cabling for this?

Is it an easy DIY job?

How much should a ball park cost be for a qualified electrician to install?

Here is my CU, which is in the hallway just inside the front door:
20240911_113335.jpg

Here is the wiring from the outside coming into the CU:
20240911_113340.jpg

Here is the outside view and where the lights are to go on either side:
20240911_113447.jpg

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Is it an easy DIY job?

It is not a technically difficult job. If I were doing it, then I would use my sds drill, to drill through that stone/brick fascia, at just the right height for each light, and at the angle needed, so the hole appears in each corner, inside.

I would then decide whether I wanted to chop the cable into the plaster inside, or run them on the surface, towards the CU. The next decision is how you want to control the lights, a simple on/off switch, or you could have them PIR controlled, although if that is pavement outside that door, they would be constantly triggered by passers-by.

Alternatively, if you have internet, you could power them via a smart plug, as I do, using Alexa. On at dusk, off at 11am. In which case wire the lights in flex, into a single 13amp plug, and install a new socket specially for the smart plug, alongside the CU.

It is not a technically difficult job. If I were doing it, then I would use my sds drill, to drill through that stone/brick fascia, at just the right height for each light, and at the angle needed, so the hole appears in each corner, inside.

I would then decide whether I wanted to chop the cable into the plaster inside, or run them on the surface, towards the CU. The next decision is how you want to control the lights, a simple on/off switch, or you could have them PIR controlled, although if that is pavement outside that door, they would be constantly triggered by passers-by.

Alternatively, if you have internet, you could power them via a smart plug, as I do, using Alexa. On at dusk, off at 11am. In which case wire the lights in flex, into a single 13amp plug, and install a new socket specially for the smart plug, alongside the CU.
The lights have a PIR and photocell sensor built in, so the aim is to just have them mains powered and let the photocell sensor turn them on at dusk and off at dawn automatically, so there'll be no need for a switch or timers etc and they will just need the power.

The lights have a PIR and photocell sensor built in, so the aim is to just have them mains powered and let the photocell sensor turn them on at dusk and off at dawn automatically, so there'll be no need for a switch or timers etc and they will just need the power.
Yes, but the lights will only turn on if
1. It is dark AND
2. The PIR detects movement,

If you want the lights to be on all night then you need a different type of light.

I have a quote for £140-160 to install by a professional. Does this seem reasonable?

It really depends upon the sort of job they are planning to do. The simplest, ugliest, cheapest, quickest way, would be to run the cables entirely on the surface, and make entry holes through the door frame. Is that what you want?

No switch. The light have a dusk-to-dawn sensor, so should be turning on and off themselves. However, may contemplate a switch if it makes sense and makes things easier.
I think outside lights should have a double pole isolation switch. Then they can be easily disconnected if problems occur - like water in the gubbins.
Thanks for the clarification

No switch. The light have a dusk-to-dawn sensor, so should be turning on and off themselves. However, may contemplate a switch if it makes sense and makes things easier.
I am actually looking at a very similar project at my house. Depending on where you live, I would probably not leave the lights on all night. For energy efficiency, but I personally would also feel like your house would stand out (and attract unwanted attention) if it were the only one illuminated full on all night.

There are also lamps with PIR that offer a manual override, but it works opposite of an isolator. I.e. you can force to keep the lights on despite no movement. Useful when you are expecting friends/family over that will come in and go for an entire evening.

DIY would only do if there was an existing lighting circuit with easy reach... else it sounds the electrian's quote is fair.

Sound fair for a day’s work?
My back light that operate on PIR can be powered on or off via a switch that I installed in the garage.
But if I wanted them on all night, I switch the power on and off quickly which tells the PIR to ignore its signals and stay on until the sensor detects daylight (so goes back to dusk/dawn)
Manually switching slower resets them so they go back to PIR , say at the end of a party.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back