How difficult is very basic bricklaying?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I don't want to take anything away from proper bricklayers, who I know would do the job ten times faster and without any concerns about the quality of the end result, but if I wanted to build a small garden wall, or (as in this instance) I want to build a simple two-course plinth on an existing concrete base for a simple timber building to be built off, how feasible is it to get it "good enough" if I buy a few basic tools (line, trowels, etc) and take my time with it, making sure it's all level/plumb?

Sponsored Links
Doable, you have to start somewhere
You can practice with a mix using hydrated lime as it doesn’t go hard

It’s very doable

watch some basic videos on how to use the trowel, how to mix mortar, how to hold the brick etc

Try Rob Songer on youtube

Very doable.

Just be prepared to rip it down if you're not happy with it (sooner the better, as it's a lot easier when mortar is soft)

Getting the mortar mix right is, imo, the most important bit, as if this is right it makes everything else that bit easier

Sponsored Links
I put a 4 course brick wall around an area of my garden in a house i owned years ago. It was a feature with flowers and bushes behind it. And i also built a brick pool for a water fountain. Never bricked before that....i just planned it out, did some research. No internet then!

It turned out really well. Its still there today!!

Built my extension with a "Brickie" tool. I would definitely recommend it, with a few caveats - technically you don't need a line, and so there's a tendency to be a bit careless with the plumbness of your corners and the straightness of walls - in future I'd probably build the corners conventionally and check every course with a line. The jointing you need to do (because the bed it produces is quite a bit narrower than the brick) is actually more like pointing and needs to be done on both sides of the brick. Despite this, for a complete beginner whose mortar slides off the trowel into the cavity every second go, with uniform bricks it produces decent results.

Yes, it's still on sale. I need a new one, I've worn the old one down working for subbies, so it's doing 5mm joints now.
Your're in luck! We are looking for an enthusiastic self-starter with experience in 5mm joints for our Accrington & District Extension Division.

The Brickie thing leaves pretty awful looking joints. Plus the mortar hardly gets compressed, so the wall will be weaker.

I've built a big garden wall in the past (1000s of bricks), have progressed to an outbuilding. You can get super-obsessed about your own work, but you look at it differently to others. I was sitting in a friend's newbuild garden the other day. It looks fine, but when I started staring at it like I would with my own work it looks messy, with lips and lumps between the perps and bed joints. But it's fine, anyone else casually glancing just sees a brick wall.

I'd suggest getting some good quality plasticiser. I'd previously tried adding lime and powder stuff, both gave far too wet a mix and I was getting slop marks on the faces. Things improved massively once I found this...

Also some proper string line. Use concrete blocks, fence posts or anything in the vicinity usually with line blocks to stretch it out across your concrete surface. Definitely don't think you can do it by eye or using a level if you're new to it. Spend the time setting up the line, you could also use a small level across the bricks as you're only doing a couple of courses. Although you really need a vertical face rather than horizontal top, the two are not always the same if the brick isn't square, but usually close enough.

Also I find a rubber mallet more newbie-friendly for settling the bricks in. Proper brickies use the trowel handle, as that's already in their hand so saves time. Although with plasticiser you'll probably just push them in by hand.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back