How difficult is very basic bricklaying?

Don't do what a neighbour did with a garden wall. They chucked the cheapest common bricks together with some mortar without much attention to line or level and then let the mortar go off. A week later they were trying to get some sort of smooth mortar joint with a mini grinder. It wasn't a success and still looks an eyesore:
1725459498524.png

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the advice all. Sounds like something I might well attempt then!

Here's pretty much my first attempt at "Brickie-ing":

Screenshot_20240904-175726.png

Screenshot_20240904-175607.png

As said, as you don't really push (or bash like us amateurs) the bricks down it could potentially be weaker but I don't think it's significant as the frogs are filled to prevent any lateral movement.

Not that it mattered but I was surprised how slow I was with it, even when, on a damp and cloudy day I could lay a 5m long mortar bed in a couple of minutes:

Screenshot_20240904-175819.png

Sponsored Links
I doubt the Brickie saves any time, it looks like a right load of messing about to me. It will be weaker and those joints look fine on the photos but I'm sure will be as rough as a bear's arse up close and don't shed water as a tooled joint would.

The tooling makes it neater but also compresses the mortar, sealing the surface and strengthening it within.

The people who use one probably haven't tried freehand without so can't really know whether it's saving them time and effort or not. I'd suggest not.

I doubt the Brickie saves any time, it looks like a right load of messing about to me. It will be weaker and those joints look fine on the photos but I'm sure will be as rough as a bear's arse up close and don't shed water as a tooled joint would.
Regarding joints, is the bucket-handle the go-to for this sort of stuff, or is there another one to use for any reason?

Regarding joints, is the bucket-handle the go-to for this sort of stuff, or is there another one to use for any reason?
All depends on any neighbouring masonry or the type of brick.
Regular straight sided bricks with keen arrises look good struck of gagged.
Wavy or handmade or stock type bricks look better flushed and rubbed.......

Almost every newbuild is bucket handle, it's the standard default. In fact I'd daringly suggest that some "pro" bricklayers can't do anything else. It's easy and gives a decent enough finish, it also gives a good seal against the bricks and doesn't leave bare exposed corners.

I'd avoid getting the tool I have that has a different radius on each end. It's a right pain, I have to stare at it to check I've got it the right way every time.

I had our front wall done by someone more talented, it needed weatherstruck as that was how it was done originally and it's a good way of covering up knackered bricks.

I did the side walls, bucket handle and it looked fine. But not as good as the front. But probably only because the bricks were a bit rubbish.

IMO flat just looks rubbish, unfinished like it was meant to be rendered.

There's around 20 different styles of pointing, but the concave half round (bucket handle) and flush are the most common for new work. The best jointers are made by Rose.

I was always a big fan of a subtle weather struck on reclaimed/old bricks (not the sharper cut and struck). Like a flush joint but then just ironed a bit with the pointing trowel when firming up rather than rubbed

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back