How do I know if the house needs re-roofing?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All, Our house was built in 1995. It is roofed with "pretend" grey slates (some sort of fibre reinforced cement). It is very mossy and I was wondering about having the roof cleaned, but people have told me that those slates only last about 30 years (I think they're Marley Eternits), so I'm wondering whether I'm best putting the £1k we've been quoted for cleaning it, towards just getting it re-roofed anyway? The guy who did the cleaning quote said that they'd just brush the worst of the moss off it, and use a biocide, but the biocide would probably bleach the slates so that they'd end up going very pale anyway. The house is in a wet and windy spot in Cumbria, so the slates get a pretty hard time.

I'd be grateful for opinions, please. House footprint is about 8m x 15m, but there's a gable sticking out of the front elevation too.

20240630_200707c.jpg

Sponsored Links
My question would be:

Does it leak?

Andy

No, I've not been able to find any leaks. There seems to be more condensation up in the loft, but I think that's since some extra insulation was fitted. Is it basically the case that until a roof actually physically starts leaking, it's OK?

Well, I am not a roofer but to me if the roof is not leaking then there is not a problem at the moment, so I would hold on to your money.

Andy

Sponsored Links
Should be good for another 30yrs...Will do more damage someone with a brush tramping about the roof than the benefits of removing the moss.

Moss falls off my roof in high winds/downpours. Others have had theirs cleaned but they never look as good afterwards as they alter the weathered look. My roof is over 60 years old and I hope it will last a good bit longer.

Should be good for another 30yrs...Will do more damage someone with a brush tramping about the roof than the benefits of removing the moss.

Thanks for that. The company who did the quote, said they wouldn't go up there or pressure wash it. They said they'd use "gentle brushing" (from ground level) to remove as much of the loose moss as possible, and then a biocide.

Moss falls off my roof in high winds/downpours. Others have had theirs cleaned but they never look as good afterwards as they alter the weathered look. My roof is over 60 years old and I hope it will last a good bit longer.

Ta for that. Can I ask what material your roof is, please? Mine is covered in those fake slates (some sort of fibre reinforced cement - Marley Eternit Rivendale, I think).

Double roman apparently, I am sure they are concrete. I also have 4 roof vent tiles which has solved the condensation problem I had when we moved in 5 years ago.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back