How tight should chimney flue liner top clamps be?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Lining the chimney while I have good scaffolding up on roof. I had to rebuild top of chimney and pots were off anyway. So I have gone for a top clamp on a flexible 5" /125mm stainless steel liner.

Flue went in chimney pretty easy. And this top clamp seems to hold it ok.
1000039572.jpg

The bolts are tightened as far as they will go, and I went down 20mm or so so clamp is on liner all way round even where the liner ripped at end of cutting:
1000039632.jpg

But the 5" insert is still completely loose:
1000039573.jpg

Is this normal/ok? I was expecting it to tighten around the insert. Seems solid enough but really don't want to get back up here once the mortar is in and scaffolding is gone.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Lining the chimney while I have good scaffolding up on roof. I had to rebuild top of chimney and pots were off anyway. So I have gone for a top clamp on a flexible 5" /125mm stainless steel liner.

Flue went in chimney pretty easy. And this top clamp seems to hold it ok. View attachment 347639
The bolts are tightened as far as they will go, and I went down 20mm or so so clamp is on liner all way round even where the liner ripped at end of cutting:
View attachment 347640

But the 5" insert is still completely loose:
View attachment 347641
Is this normal/ok? I was expecting it to tighten around the insert. Seems solid enough but really don't want to get back up here once the mortar is in and scaffolding is gone.

Thanks
That looks awful. Looks like cobbled up tat to me. Was it a cheap product? It certainly looks like a budget item. I'd be on the hunt for something more robust and that will last beyond the first lighting.

It was from flexiflue, all new stainless steel. But yes I wasn't blown away by quality as all three bits were about 40 quid. How might it fail?

Sponsored Links
I was going to put 2" bed of mortar up to top of liner in anyway as clamp is wider than the bottom of the pot.
And then a normal flaunching round the whole stack after.

Get a big jubilee clip around it all, sitting just above the clamp.
The jubi clamps it up, the strap you have stops in falling down 'ole.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back