How to connect and wire Oven and hob (Ed.)

A photo of the connections at the oven terminals are likely to reveal the issue.

Sponsored Links
I am confused. Your youtube video shows a junction box with a cable in and a cable out. However, it only has 2 ports for the earth (in and out). Reading your post, it reads like the "out" runs to the hob, and perhaps, I have the wrong end of the stick, but you are wiring the oven to the junction box in the video. What are you connecting the earth to?

Sorry if I am having a senior moment.
The cable on the right is the is the mains supply running into the connector....
The wiring on the left is the load into the oven.
The loose wiring is the disconnected hob..
I Was trying a process of elimination as i thought would try the oven and that tripped the rcd as soon as i lifted the lever on the 32amp mcb..

I then changwd the wiring in the connection by removing the oven wiring and replaced it with the hob you could see loose originally
That did not trip the rcd...
So we have a working hob....

Please show us the connections at the appliances

Have you got some green and yellow sleeving?
Yes the earth is sleeved.....
I cannot lift the hob as it is stuck down by the fitter..

Sponsored Links
I am confused. Your youtube video shows a junction box with a cable in and a cable out. However, it only has 2 ports for the earth (in and out). Reading your post, it reads like the "out" runs to the hob, and perhaps, I have the wrong end of the stick, but you are wiring the oven to the junction box in the video. What are you connecting the earth to?

Sorry if I am having a senior moment.
Yes the 45amp connection has two load ports coming out for two aplliances

Although a T&E is often used, without consequence!

But yes, that's why I asked..

If the electricians were confronted with multiple terminals, when they attempted to connect the 6mm cable (!), they may have chosen incorrectly, or trapped an oversized cable.

...and I haven't yet found specific wiring instructions in any UK manuals.
I will try and remove the oven to show the wiring connection.....

I will try and remove the oven to show the wiring connection.....
Before you do that. Disconnect the hob and put the oven back. Just to check it still trips.
And stop stressing about the cable. That isn’t your basic problem.

Just done as you said and yes it still trips......

1000028492.jpg
1000028491.jpg
1000028490.jpg

Last edited:
The feed runs from the other 45amp connection from the other 45amp connector the rop of rhe one behind the oven.
These are the photos from behind the oven.
Top one is the 45amp connector it seems that the middle connection for the earth are wired into the same screw and the screw to right will not turn as i have tried it....

The feed runs from the other 45amp connection from the other 45amp connector the rop of rhe one behind the oven.
These are the photos from behind the oven.
Top one is the 45amp connector it seems that the middle connection for the earth are wired into the same screw and the screw to right will not turn as i have tried it....
As we have said throughout this post, we are interested in the way the cable is connected into the oven - your image shows the the Green/Yellow earth wire connected to an N terminal and the Blue neutral wire connected to the earth terminal.

As we have said throughout this post, we are interested in the way the cable is connected into the oven - your image shows the the Green/Yellow earth wire connected to an N terminal and the Blue neutral wire connected to the earth terminal.
Thank you for spotting that...
Very gratefull indeed.
Also thanks to everybodies input aswell and all the advice..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back