How to Connect Multiple CAT6 Ethernet Cables

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,
I want to run 4 CAT6 ethernet cables to individual RJ45 wall outlets in 4 different rooms in my 1900's home.
Please can anyone recommend how to connect the four cables to my router hub in a neat/integrated fashion. I have BT Openreach entering the front of the house and plan to run the cables under floors and into the walls.
Do I just run the individual CAT6 cables to a 4 port RJ45 wall plate (similar to the image below) and connect each port to the back of the router (if I have enough router ports)?
Or, is there a better way to connect the 4 CAT6 cables together in a wall fixture near the router?
Many thanks for any advice.

4 Port Ethernet Wall Plate.jpg

Sponsored Links
Hello,
I want to run 4 CAT6 ethernet cables to individual RJ45 wall outlets in 4 different rooms in my 1900's home.
Please can anyone recommend how to connect the four cables to my router hub in a neat/integrated fashion. I have BT Openreach entering the front of the house and plan to run the cables under floors and into the walls.
Do I just run the individual CAT6 cables to a 4 port RJ45 wall plate (similar to the image below) and connect each port to the back of the router (if I have enough router ports)?
Or, is there a better way to connect the 4 CAT6 cables together in a wall fixture near the router?

View attachment 355240
If you have 4 ethernet ports and don't require them for any other purpose then yes it's simply 4 cables between the router and the socket.

Yes, using wall plates can be a neater and easier way of adding the network cables, especially if your not used to fitting the plugs on the end of these cables.

The wall plates with the use of a punch down tool can be quite easy, get yourself a simple ethernet tester too.
Then from the wall plates you can run further premade leads to the devices to connect and also to the hub.

However, if your running cables to each room it may be wise to throw in some extra cables and use a dual port in the rooms, then a switch (like an ethernet hub) near the router and a single lead from the switch to the router.
This way you will not be stuck when you find that you want more than 1 ethernet connection.

Sponsored Links
Hello,

View attachment 355240
If you have 4 ethernet ports and don't require them for any other purpose then yes it's simply 4 cables between the router and the socket.
SUNRAY has provided the answer to your question.

However,
should you need one, or more, extra Ethernet "ports" (in these or other rooms) in the future,
you will need to install an additional "Switch" (as mentioned by ericmark), with a sufficient number of "outlets/ports"
and (possibly)
a "Patch Panel".
(Your existing "router hub" is a "Switch".)

Because of this, I suggest that you "read up" on both
"Ethernet Switches"
and
"Patch Panels".

Further, I suggest that you (or anyone) should not use the term RJ45 - or similar - when referring to "Ethernet" connectors.

RJ45 was a term used by the Bell Telephone Company in the United States for their "Telephone" "Registered Jack" -
"Registered" with the US Federal Communications Commission
(with several "variations")

for various connections of that which is properly termed a
8P8C "Modular Connector". (See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Registered_jack )
This is a "Modular Connector" with 8 "Pins" and 8 "Connections".

"Modular Connectors" come in various other "configurations". (See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Modular_connector#8P8C )

4P4C (or even 4P2C) "Modular Connectors" are often used on "Handset Telephone" cords.

Yep, perfect. You could even add additional switches downstream at any or all of the 4 Ethernet outlets.

Do you definitely have 4 LAN ports available on your router? Some only have 4 total ports and one ends up being the WAN port with an external modem/ONT setup like yours. Others have a dedicated WAN port.

Yep, perfect. You could even add additional switches downstream at any or all of the 4 Ethernet outlets.

Do you definitely have 4 LAN ports available on your router? Some only have 4 total ports and one ends up being the WAN port with an external modem/ONT setup like yours. Others have a dedicated WAN port.
My current BT hub has 5 LAN, WAN & 2 phone ports

Many thanks for all your advice @ericmark, @SUNRAY,@mattylad and @FrodoOne!
So, are my basic options as below if I don't expand to dual port outlets?

View attachment 355341
For now, you may not "need" an additional "Switch", as in Option 2.
You can always add one later and "reconfigure".

Network Switches come in various sizes, usually starting at 5 "Ports" (1 In , 4 Out).
(See https://www.amazon.co.uk/Network-Hubs-Switches/b?ie=UTF8&node=430573031 )

You can also get "Splitters" - One Input, Two Outputs.

I have your option 2.

Modem...Router...Switch.

But from there cables go round the house. Some end in sockets, most others (TVs, PCs) just have the lead plugged straight into them.

IMG_20240913_113950_MP.jpg
IMG_20240913_113957_MP.jpg
IMG_20240913_114022_MP.jpg
IMG_20240913_114159_MP.jpg
IMG_20240913_114246_MP.jpg
IMG_20240913_114306_MP.jpg
IMG_20240913_114338_MP.jpg

The last pictures are of an RJ45 outlet.

I know we have been told not to call them that, but even Cable Monkey (where I got the socket parts from) call them that.

There is a keystone coupler, which fits into front plate which in turn fits into a single Euro module faceplate, in this case, MK's LogicPlus.

SUNRAY has provided the answer to your question.

However,
should you need one, or more, extra Ethernet "ports" (in these or other rooms) in the future,
you will need to install an additional "Switch" (as mentioned by ericmark), with a sufficient number of "outlets/ports"
and (possibly)
a "Patch Panel".
(Your existing "router hub" is a "Switch".)

Because of this, I suggest that you "read up" on both
"Ethernet Switches"
and
"Patch Panels".

Further, I suggest that you (or anyone) should not use the term RJ45 - or similar - when referring to "Ethernet" connectors.

RJ45 was a term used by the Bell Telephone Company in the United States for their "Telephone" "Registered Jack" -
"Registered" with the US Federal Communications Commission
(with several "variations")

for various connections of that which is properly termed a
8P8C "Modular Connector". (See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Registered_jack )
This is a "Modular Connector" with 8 "Pins" and 8 "Connections".

"Modular Connectors" come in various other "configurations". (See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Modular_connector#8P8C )

4P4C (or even 4P2C) "Modular Connectors" are often used on "Handset Telephone" cords.

Thank you for the clarification. I must confess that I often use the term RJ45.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back