How to drill into concrete?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I am trying to put up another light in the back garden and went out with my screw driver and screws. However the piolet drill bit I think is meant for wood and it wouldn't drill into the concrete wall.

I am guessing anyway I will need to attach a small block of wood like this one as you can see the concrete wall is not flat either.

Please can someone tell me exactly what tools I need to do this?
I have an electric screw driver.
How will I attach the bit of wood to the concrete wall?

Thanks all

Attachments

• 20240725_215453.jpg
    20240725_215453.jpg
    302.6 KB · Views: 43
Sponsored Links
What is you budget.
Cheapest equipment (that will work well for future DIY):

Hammer drill (mains as is cheaper than battery drill)

Masonry drill bit set which can drill holes in concrete

Following not needed as you got these already.)
And a set of raw plugs of different sizes

A set of screws (I know they say wood, but when used with wall plugs above they can be used in concrete)

Put lamp strait on wall by marking hole positions on wall.

Drill with drill on hammer mode using a masonry drill bit that is slightly smaller than the wall plugs.

Make sure hole is longer than your screws and wall plugs.

Lightly Hammer in wall plugs in made holes.

Screw up lamp into these wall plugs.
Sfk

Last edited:
Use masonry bits using the holes you have drilled in the wood as a guide to pilot the hole in the wall. Keep it level. Alternatively, dispense with wood and fit direct to the wall using steel or rubber washers as shims to get square, and seal around the edges to prevent water ingress.

Sponsored Links
Hi all

I am trying to put up another light in the back garden and went out with my screw driver and screws. However the piolet drill bit I think is meant for wood and it wouldn't drill into the concrete wall.

I am guessing anyway I will need to attach a small block of wood like this one as you can see the concrete wall is not flat either.

Please can someone tell me exactly what tools I need to do this?
I have an electric screw driver.
How will I attach the bit of wood to the concrete wall?

Thanks all
It’s rendered brickwork not concrete , if you want do stick timber on wall then a tube of Fixall is a cheap alternative to buying new tools.

It’s rendered brickwork not concrete , if you want do stick timber on wall then a tube of Fixall is a cheap alternative to buying new tools.

Thanks so I would just get a bit of wood like the one in the picture and apply the Fixall to the back of it and then stick it to the concrete wall? (Even though the wall is not smoothe it's like that small soft rugged lumpy paint?)
And then just screw in the new lights to the wood?

Thanks so I would just get a bit of wood like the one in the picture and apply the Fixall to the back of it and then stick it to the concrete wall? (Even though the wall is not smoothe it's like that small soft rugged lumpy paint?)
And then just screw in the new lights to the wood?
Yes , plenty of adhesive to fill gaps .

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back