How to make taxation "fair"?

Yeah yeah yeah, you keep on missing the point and stepping sideways.

If the rules were not set by those they benefit, they might be fairer, and easier to apply to all. That is point of this thread, to make them fairer they should be simpler, either you agree with that, or you don't.

That is the point of this thread, how to make taxation fairer. Not, how to legally avoid, and whether you have the resources to do so or not. Those resources are not commonly available.
I don't think you that understand the point you're trying to make yourself.

I am in a financial postion where it is very beneficial for me to avoid paying tax. I cannot do that myself, I cannot possibly have that indepth a knowledge of our tax regime that I can avoid paying the levels of tax that would otherwise financially cripple me. I employ someone to do that on my behalf, & they don't work for nothink, they ain't cheap.

I do what I do, they do what they do & everybodys happy.

The average salary could not possibly justify paying for the level of financial advice that I enjoy. Is it this that you are saying is unfair?

I am in a financial postion that enables me to donate over £60k a year in charitable donations, money that would otherwise be forfeit in tax. I get that £60k in the chancellors coffers would help pay for all those things our tax money pays for, except my way gives ME a chance to direct it towards things that I find important.

Sponsored Links
I agree that it would be better if the rules were simpler, but they can't be, because they have to evolve. At the end of the day, its the people that we elect that make the rules. Its not The boss of Amazon or Google.
They could be simpler though, if they were wanted to be.

Who do you think doesn't want them to be simpler ? I think it's those at the top who benefit from the complexity. And that comes back to the full circle of the argument over the fairness and how the taxes are applied.

I don't think you that understand the point you're trying to make yourself.

I am in a financial postion where it is very beneficial for me to avoid paying tax. I cannot do that myself, I cannot possibly have that indepth a knowledge of our tax regime that I can avoid paying the levels of tax that would otherwise financially cripple me. I employ someone to do that on my behalf, & they don't work for nothink, they ain't cheap.

I do what I do, they do what they do & everybodys happy.

The average salary could not possibly justify paying for the level of financial advice that I enjoy. Is it this that you are saying is unfair?

I am in a financial postion that enables me to donate over £60k a year in charitable donations, money that would otherwise be forfeit in tax. I get that £60k in the chancellors coffers would help pay for all those things our tax money pays for, except my way gives ME a chance to direct it towards things that I find important.
Nothing as complicated as that.

The tax rules are complex for certain reasons. It enables certain people to take advantage, the point of this thread.

The tax rules are of no benefit to the majority of society.

Nothing as complicated as that.

The tax rules are complex for certain reasons. It enables certain people to take advantage, the point of this thread.

If you had ever mingled amongst the entitled & monied peoples, you would understand that most of 'em are so stupid from the interbreeding, that they could not possibly understand a tax avoidance scheme if it was tattooed on their eye lids.

There are very many valid reasons why our tax regime is legally complicated. If an instruction manual of "How To Avoid Paying Tax" is handed out to every graduate of a public school, then you would already have a copy yourself.

Sponsored Links
If you had ever mingled amongst the entitled & monied peoples, you would understand that most of 'em are so stupid from the interbreeding, that they could not possibly understand a tax avoidance scheme if it was tattooed on their eye lids.

There are very many valid reasons why our tax regime is legally complicated. If an instruction manual of "How To Avoid Paying Tax" is handed out to every graduate of a public school, then you would already have a copy yourself.
Not even worth the effort to go further.

To reform taxation you need to reform society...the breaking of the post war guarentee of full employment led to a creation of an unemployed underclass to keep costs low. In effect wealth was redistributed upwards to shareholders paid for by a national benefits system, we are actually paying for shareholders to have cheap labour....if you want to change taxation the supply and demand side of the labour market needs state control....at present all our taxation laws are in place to support a free market economy....

One "benefit" is,

...if the tax rules were simple, this would give an easy "blinder" at GE time for whichever party wanted to employ it.

"The last lot were taxing you at 20%; if we get in, we'll drop that to 18%"

I fear that would inevitably lead to a race to the bottom (of taxation), until we really were bankrupted by it.

One "benefit" is,

...if the tax rules were simple, this would give an easy "blinder" at GE time for whichever party wanted to employ it.

"The last lot were taxing you at 20%; if we get in, we'll drop that to 18%"

I fear that would inevitably lead to a race to the bottom (of taxation), until we really were bankrupted by it.
Close to where we are now then.

All that taxation not being collected, for various reasons. Very very little not being collected from the little man paying via paye

Equally, if taxation was transparent and fair, a lot more people would appreciate the taxation they have.

Do you think anyone is in a financial position where it is NOT very beneficial for them to avoid paying tax?
Oh yeah. If you on minimum wage then go with the flow, don't try to game the system.

Tax avoidance advice is very expensive.

Sponsored Links
Back