How to prep and paint the front of my house.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello All,

Hope someone can help.

I have just has new windows and doors fitted and i want to paint the front of my house.
IMG-20240920-WA0002.jpg

As you can see it has a mock Tudor finish.

I would say i am a beginner/moderate DIYer. It would be interesting to know peoples opinions on the following:

1) Best way to prep the timber, would a light sand to remove the flaking paint be ok, or something a bit more serious?

2) Would i need to prime the timber first?

3) Best paint option for the timber?

4) Best paint option for the white render?

5) There are a few gaps between the timber/render, what is the best way to fill them and what should i use?

6) Anything else i should consider?

Finally as you can see we have gone for an anthracite grey finish for the doors and windows, would you stick with black paint for the timber or change it to anthracite grey?

All opinions greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance
Chris

Sponsored Links
You need to check and repair any rotted or flaking timber, then sand to a 60 grit finish as it is outdoors. Prime and paint two good coats with appropriate external paint

I understand that sealing the timbers can trap moisture causing premature render failure.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back