How to put a latch on?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all
Please can someone advise me on what tools etc and any links please as to how I can put a latch on little door on this so it can only be opened from the inside bathroom and not from the outside ie where pipes are. The reason being is that we have issues with rats coming from the hole and pushing out the little round plastic thing. As we need that hole there as it is where the stopcock is.

Please see picture
It was there when we moved in 3 months ago.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240901_140456_WhatsApp.jpg
    Screenshot_20240901_140456_WhatsApp.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 38
Sponsored Links
Should you not have rat bait or a walk the plank type trap there to catch the rats?

Any surface mounted catch should work. One each side. 2 small sliding bolt latches would work with short screws. What depth do you have to fix to?

You need to eliminate the rats, if they want in they can chew thru plastic with ease.

I presume this is a plumbing duct concealing the soil pipe, and opens into a void under the floor. So it needs to be blocked off into the void, but it is quite likely that there is a leak, or a break into the drains, where the rats are coming from.

So it it not that hatch that is the problem. You need to kill the rats, repair the break, and block the access.

Rats need constant access to water, which is what tells me there is probably a leak.

Is this a rented home?

Sponsored Links
Should you not have rat bait or a walk the plank type trap there to catch the rats?

Any surface mounted catch should work. One each side. 2 small sliding bolt latches would work with short screws. What depth do you have to fix to?
It's about depth 1/2 inch.
Can you give me a link or pictures to the materials I need? I found this but don't I need a sort of little door to put over the hole? Ie first remove the cut out circle and then put a little door over the hole and lock it with a hatch latch or lock?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240902_205111_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240902_205111_Chrome.jpg
    136.5 KB · Views: 10

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back