How to secure tile backer board

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I was planning to attach wood where necessary for additional support, but this section has a lot of pipes, making it impossible to add any wood to drill into.

The studs are spaced 600mm apart, and the backer board I’m using is 1200 x 600 x 20mm.

Do you have any suggestions on how to securely install the backer board in this area?

Attachments

• IMG_9085.jpeg
    IMG_9085.jpeg
    274.7 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_9084.jpeg
    IMG_9084.jpeg
    293.4 KB · Views: 22
Sponsored Links
Foam board or cement board?
If foam I'd use a 6mm cement board or plywood behind it.

Measure very careful before putting a screw into the centre of the horizontal.
Use a blob of paint or blue tack, offer up your initial board, then use the mark on the back to drill a pilot hole, so you know for sure you'll miss the pipes.

If you need additional support where there is no timber to fix to, use a light metal strap from one stud to the next, notch the timber to accommodate its depth.
Then use a self tapping screw into that.

Foam board or cement board?
If foam I'd use a 6mm cement board or plywood behind it.

Measure very careful before putting a screw into the centre of the horizontal.
Use a blob of paint or blue tack, offer up your initial board, then use the mark on the back to drill a pilot hole, so you know for sure you'll miss the pipes.

If you need additional support where there is no timber to fix to, use a light metal strap from one stud to the next, notch the timber to accommodate its depth.
Then use a self tapping screw into that.
It’s foam board.

I’ll give this a go!

I assume something like this would work? https://www.toolstation.com/heavy-d...=0AAAAAD-vLcV9iqLg_NXqRWhv7lx4srkIG&gclsrc=ds

Sponsored Links
That'll work. Put a short screw in one of the holes in the back of the strap, pointing outwards. This can be used to mark the back of the board, then drill through the board, and the screw can then be put through the front and it will hit the same hole.
Just make sure the pipes are out of the way!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back