how to sort out short delivery?

Ish said:
oilman said:
Did you really order 156 feet? this is a rather strange quantity and even in metres it is 47.63 so that's an odd amout to order. Did you NEED 156 feet? If so, you had not allowed for shortage due to unsuitable pieces. Thermo is correct about your rights, but if you ordered wood and not MDF, you should know general joinery wood is variable, and unless you specified exactly what blemishes you were prepared to accept. Next time order 180 feet.

i ordered 156ft as the guy told me we have got 12ft lengths in stock so i though 13x12ft lengths=156 foot which would cover what i need and allow for shortages due to unsuitable pieces.

they actually delivered various size lengths of 11,12,13,14 & 15 foot!!

Never done this before have you? :)

Sponsored Links
Thermo wrote.

sorry, i dont agree. yes youve left it a little late, but the goods are unfit for their purpose, so youve got a right for them to be replaced.

I don't think you do have that right, this is not a trading standards issue. The wood is fit for purpose(save maybe the broken bit) there just isn't enough of it.

Given that most builders merchants open at around 8-00 AM how come you left it till 4-00 PM the following day to phone them?

I don't think they will be all that bothered and will give you the 20 ft anyway. You need to go in with a friendly but firm manner. Don't get their backs up, whilst also not being trodden on.

In law I would imagine they were actually at fault for not getting proof of delivery. Your wife being in may not be good enough, for all they know she may not be able to read or count, but they should of asked her.

To me it sounds like they are not very professional at running their business really.

david and julie said:
To me it sounds like they are not very professional at running their business really.

I think this is common with builders merchants and timberyards. I ordered 80m of softwood a few weeks ago (on account) and they delivered 108m.

I would be surprised if they don't sort it out with you and I certainly think you should go and see them. If no-one ever complains then this sort of thing would become more and more common

I would like him to come back to us tonite because there is a bit more to this.

Firstly you wouldnt buy a set footage you would buy lentghs of timber as near to each wall size as possible other wise you will end up with loads of waste or hundreds of silly joints

The fact that he has a dodgy length of wood which is 20ft but he never recieved a 20ft lentgh--i wish he could clear these things up

Sponsored Links
Generally, I agree with other comments, if we're only talking about a few quids worth of stuff, you have to think of how well you got on with the supplier previously. If you make a big thing of this, will it affect getting further materials at an agreeable price?

However, I could be completely wrong here but the gist I get from the original post is that he had a cracked piece which left him short. In which case, given that there was no signed POD to prove it was accepted in good condition, he has every right to complain and seek recompense.

Ish said:
big-all said:
its wether you want to use them again

they are there thinking he has hidden a couple off lengths
you are there thinking the barstewards have short changed me

i doubt if they would make any fuss i suspect they belive it was outside till you came home some hours later and the bits where nicked
did you tell them it was taken in immediatly on delivery!!!!
thats why i suggested you go prearmed with the answer to any questions ;)

as the delivery driver dropped each piece by the front door my missus took them inside so they know 100% for sure it wasn't left outside

wouldnt rely on the delivery driver saying any thing or even being asked

as i am shure you are aware the lengths are short by about an inch every 2m so if your room is 12ft youve got to use 13ft length and put up with the waste

a lot of unecessary questions here :confused: :rolleyes:

i will go and sort it out tomorrow with them!

Ish said:

Great :( :( :( :( :( next time winge somewhere else

Freddie said:
Ish said:

relax freddie he has a lot of information to sift through
a lot of it i am shure makes sence to us but possibly confusing to him :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

big-all said:
Freddie said:
Ish said:

relax freddie he has a lot of information to sift through
a lot of it i am shure makes sence to us but possibly confusing to him :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

But if he had answered the questions BA then perhaps i could have helped him instead they are just unnessary :confused:

suspect it just looks a bit daunting for this time off night ;) freddie

Thermo made a hint at this: The Sale and Supply of Goods Act 1979 (amended in 1994). That's the legislation that you need to spank them on the a**e with. There will be a copy on the HMSO website, or perhaps even the BBC Watchdog site!

The goods are not fit for purpose. It is not likely that you will have "accidentally" damaged just one piece. If you were storing them incorrectly, then it is likely more than one piece would have cracked

I had a disagreement with MFI. The argument that I used was "It would take great force to inflict such damage on 18mm carcasses. I am as yet unaware of any tendency on my part to somnambulate whilst swinging a sledgehammer about my person at random, therefore I can only conclude that the damage was caused at some point before the items were delivered."... I got no apology, but at least the new parts were delivered within a week! :LOL:

HOWEVER, I'm not sure how this applies to BUILDING MATERIALS. Consumer goods are delivered finished, however with building materials it is likely that you are meant to accept a small amount of damage. I once took back several 3x2s to a builders' merchant because they were about as straight as a boomerang and there were no questions asked. :idea:

We had the opposite, a new kitchen fitted, a minor concern about the doors, a new set delivered, then another lot, I had a job to convince them that the third lot was not required.. Following numerous phone calls the unwanted spares were never collected
The freeby sets gather dust in loft and garage .. I just know I'll use them ... one day..
:D :D

I don't know if this is any help in the future but I always sign it "Uncheck".

I don't know the legal side of it but it always works with me.

My wife is a curtain maker and is now doing school curtain job which need over 100 metres of fabric (5 x 20m in a roll), the label stuck on it said please check for any damage & length before signing it. Yeah right, so the delivery man going wait at least an hour while we check it before they can do the next customer delivery?

If the delivery driver won't allow the "Uncheck" sign then ring the company up and explain the driver will be delay during the checking period it works everytime!

How many of you had parcels without checking the items inside? ;)

i was refering to the brocken piece, and the sale of goods act will still apply. Having said that most builders merchants i deal with normally will look at what they are loading and if they notice a problem either take it off or put a little extra on to cover it.

Sponsored Links
Back