I thrifted a cool lamp but not sure what sort of shade would look good. Ideas?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Sorry if this is not the right place to ask.

Attachments

• lamp.jpg
    lamp.jpg
    153.8 KB · Views: 57
Sponsored Links
Probably many depending on your tastes and the decor of your room, for a starter for ten I'll throw three ideas out there:

IME lighting is easy to get OK but hard to get really good, I would pop into a local independent lighting shop and have a look what they have and take a bit of advice. We've done it before with lamps. I appreciate funds may be limited but good lighting/shades can really lift a room.

Last edited:
Why did I zoom in? :rolleyes:
I'm sorry to say, the electrical aspects of the lamp may need to be looked into.
It appears as if it has a 2 core lead, with an American style 2 pin plug.

It's possible that the cable rating may not be appropriate, but most importantly, with a 2 pin plug, the metal fitting won't be earthed (and in this case doesn't appear to be double insulated).

Despite that, it looks a nice lamp base, and it would be a quick and straightforward job for a competent person to change the lamp holder and rewire.

Sponsored Links
Why did I zoom in? :rolleyes:
I'm sorry to say, the electrical aspects of the lamp may need to be looked into.
It appears as if it has a 2 core lead, with an American style 2 pin plug.

It's possible that the cable rating may not be appropriate, but most importantly, with a 2 pin plug, the metal fitting won't be earthed (and in this case doesn't appear to be double insulated).

Despite that, it looks a nice lamp base, and it would be a quick and straightforward job for a competent person to change the lamp holder and rewire.
He is not in UK , another lost Yank?

He only asked about a lamp shade not the wiring. This site is a dot com so easy to think it's not just uk
I understand that this site is not just viewed by a UK audience.
Their flag at the time was set to UK, whether that was via a VPN, or purely a mistake, I do not know.
But if I see a potential electrical safety issue, I will always point it out - and I have rewired a few imported lamps with US plugs and leads, it isn't a unique occurrence.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back