I want to paint over a varnished door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone, I want to paint over a varnished door in our living room. I want to paint it white with a satin finish but I dont want it to turn yellow over time.
What is the proper paint to use and best way to go about it?

Thank you for you help.

Sponsored Links
120grade sand.
Clean
Zinsser BIN one coat with foam roller.
2 coats of undercoat recommended by the manufacturer of your chosen top coat.
2 coats of satin paint.
It's a better job to lay door down as less likely to get runs.
Use a 4 inch microfibre roller.

As for best paint to use there are many good paints. Depends what you want to pay. Any acrilic satin will stay white

Don't use the solvent undercoat as may get a reaction with BIN.
I don't know as although I've never tried it.
Find a top coat product you like and see what they recommend as a primer as you want waterbased paint

Sponsored Links
I don't know as although I've never tried it.
Find a top coat product you like and see what they recommend as a primer as you want waterbased paint

OK Thank you.

Zinsser BIN one coat with foam roller.

The last last time that I used BIN with a foam roller, the roller expanded by about 60 to 70 percent and became really floppy. Which foam roller do you use with BIN.

I wouldn't know but perhaps a microfibre roller would be best, not foam.

It's a better job to lay door down as less likely to get runs.
I might have told this story before but when I was a teenager my dad let me decorate my own bedroom. When it came to paint the door, he also said to take it off to paint it. He said something like "take the door off and you can pour the paint on". Of course he was talking figuratively and not literally. I got the wrong message and literally poured the paint on and spread it out. It ran all over the sides. When we moved about 4 years later, it still only had a skin on it in places and was wet underneath!

BIN is fine with oil based undercoat. Afterall it is pigmented shellac and shellac knotting solution had been in use for years before waterbased wood paints became common.

Thank you opps.

BTW, I use household ammonia to clean brushes or rad rollers used with BIN. The ammonia is alkali and completely breaks down the shellac. For brushes, I pour some into an old gerkin screw top jar. Push the brush in and agitate it for a while. Then rinse it in a basin. It leaves no residue in the basin. For mini rollers, I pour some into a cut in half 4 pint milk bottle, work the ammonia in and then rinse it in the basin. I then pour the ammonia into the glass jar so that it can be used again later. For BIN brushes that have gone rock hard, I leave them in the ammonia (outside) over night. In the morning, the brush is soft and the ammonia has evaporated off. I then pour what is basically water and white powder down the sink/basin.

Zinsser recommend using meths. I tried that and then realised that whilst smelly, ammonia is far more effective. The meths only thins it, as previously mentioned the ammonia completely breaks it down.

BTW, BIN has increased in price quite a lot since 2020. In my local decorators' merchant, they sell both BIN and Blockade by Smith and Rodgers (based in Glasgow). They are equally good, but the Blockade is about 15(?)% cheaper. They have a number of (relatively) new products designed to compete with Zinsser that are marginally cheaper.

And like Zinsser, Smith and Rodgers have a very good technical support team. An advantage of Smith and Rodgers is that they also sell products made by other companies and are able to make product recommendations from a wider pool of products.

Thanks for all the info and the link opps :)

That is how this site works. I am here because other members helped me to fix my boiler year ago.

Oh, another shellac based tip. On really hot days, you can add a little isopropyl alcohol to thin it slightly.

:) Thank you again, yes, it is a realy good forum to be part of, so helpful.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back