Immersion boiler and fitting a shower

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I have an immersion boiler and I'm looking to put a shower head in my flat, so my boiler is about 1.5m higher than my bath taps If i add a shower and have the extension pole/ shower head about the same height as the boiler, would I get any hot and cold water? I mainly want a shower for cold showers as I'm getting sick of having baths... I dont know if the pressure would get to the shower head?

Sponsored Links
If your hot water cylinder, with immersion heater fitted, is fed from a cold water tank somewhere above it ,the vertical height difference between the tank and the shower head will determine the pressure.
For instance ,if the cold tank is in a loft ,and the shower head is a few feet lower,the pressure would be very poor.

If your hot water cylinder, with immersion heater fitted, is fed from a cold water tank somewhere above it ,the vertical height difference between the tank and the shower head will determine the pressure.
For instance ,if the cold tank is in a loft ,and the shower head is a few feet lower,the pressure would be very poor.
These another flat behind me, so I think water froms the mains outside? My cold tap as they are now bathrooms and kitchen, water pressure is stronger than the hot

Show us a pic of your hot water/ immersion boiler as you call it.

Sponsored Links
20241014_165931[1].jpg
20241014_170017[1].jpg
20241014_165724[1].jpg

You will not get any pressure from a shower head if the bathroom it's in is on the same floor level as that set up.

You will not get any pressure from a shower head if the bathroom it's in is on the same floor level as that set up.
its roughly 215cm from the bathroom floor to where I would like the shower head as im 6ft 3..

the bottom of the boiler sits roughly 180cm above from the floor and its highest point is roughly 280cm

You said the cold water was mains pressure ,so you would have plenty of cold water from shower head .
The hot is gravity fed and you would get virtually nothing,if any at all.
What kind of shower tap / valve were you thinking of installing ?

You said the cold water was mains pressure ,so you would have plenty of cold water from shower head .
The hot is gravity fed and you would get virtually nothing,if any at all.
What kind of shower tap / valve were you thinking of installing ?
Something like this

I assume the water is coming from the mains? I dont know where else it could come from, its not possible from upstairs flat? I live on a 1st floor

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
I assume you have a mains cold water stopcock in your flat, turn it off and see if your baths cold water tap ceased to give water. It's almost certain it will not

I assume you have a mains cold water stopcock in your flat, turn it off and see if your baths cold water tap ceased to give water. It's almost certain it will not
I cant find one inside, these 3 levers near the boilers, and 1 of them turns the hot off. I can turn both kitchen taps off from under the sink...

Is the flat a purposely built one ,or a large property that was converted. Either way you should be able to isolate the water in an emergency from a source point. What would you do if you have a burst pipe ?

Is the flat a purposely built one ,or a large property that was converted. Either way you should be able to isolate the water in an emergency from a source point. What would you do if you have a burst pipe ?
Its an old house that converted to 4 flats with the basement

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back