Immersion Heater Element. Have I wired this right?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have an immersion heater that's element needed replacing. Thought it was a simple enough job.. I replaced the element and wired it all up, but it doesn't seem to be working. I have never done this before, can someone please tell me if I have done this right?
There were two earth wires , one from the switch on the wall and one from a pipe at the bottom that joins to a pipe at the top and I am not sure where it should go, so I tried leaving it hanging, didn't work. And I tried attaching it to
The earth pole, still didn't work. :(

Sponsored Links
The wirings ok but needs tidying up.
You checked theres power from the fcu switch.
Check the reset button is in.

Sponsored Links
the brown wire from the flex (which does not look heat resistant) has a huge amount of exposed live core exposed. You must trim this. Make sure it is fully inserted into the terminal in the thermostat (it might not be) so that it is making a good contact and is fully gripped by the screw.

the cable clamp must grip the sheath, not the cores.

You must also trim back the exposed core from the blue, or wrap it round the post before tightening so that there are no stray whiskers.

It may help to twist the exposed cores so that the conductors form a rope not a bunch.

I would not be surprised if the blue and brown have shorted together and blown your fuse.

You got a multi meter ?

Have you a red neon on your fcu switch ?
Is it supplied by it's own fuse/mcb in the main consumer unit ?

And to add the stats set to high for my liking, it may not effect your DHW water temp but it will probably cause nuisance tripping of the o/h stat

Matt

Sorry to say but that looks terrible, and potentially dangerous.

The outer sheath should be in the cable grip, in addition to the other recommendations.

The earth cables also do not look securely terminated.

and once you've wired it properly, you might need to check that the reset button hasn't popped out

Not my area of expertise. Haha.

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad you came here for advice, but what is it about making a potentially dangeous alteration to your electrical installation that you find funny?

BTW you can find a multimeter at Maplin for around a tenner.

BTW you can find a multimeter at Maplin for around a tenner.
But the OP also needs to know how to use it - and in a manner that a) won't cause personal injury, or b) blow the meter up, or both.

Based on the thread so far, and the photo of the work done, I'd suggest the OP consider carefully if they are really competent to start doing testing on a live circuit.

It needs to be set to "AC Volts" (the markings for this vary - so check the instructions), on a range of at least 250V, and the meter switched on.
Making sure you are stood on a dry floor, preferably in shoes that will provide some insulation, and not touching anything else - hold the probes by their insulated parts so you are not likely to touch the exposed metal tips. It doesn't matter which probe is which for AC.
It cannot be stressed enough, you are working on a live circuit with a lethal level of voltage. It is vital that you do not touch anything conductive - and especially so that you pass a current up one arm, across your chest (ie close to the heart), and down the other arm or down your legs.

Taking care not to touch anything else, either with the probe or your hands, touch one probe to the stud with the blue neutral wire, and the other probe to the terminal on the stat with the brown live wire of the supply. The meter should indicate around 240V (give or take a bit). If not, then you don't appear to have a supply - check the fuse(s) and/or circuit breaker(s) in the supply to the heater.

Now move the probe from the brown supply wire, to the terminal with the the brown wire coming out of the bottom side of the stat. The meter should again read around 240V. If there is nothing now then that suggests the stat isn't closed.

Sorry boys this looks like a wind up to me.

Every part of this wiring is a mess and dangerous.

If it is not a wind up then call in a tradesman, this is over your head.

Andy

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back