Impact driver - extension bit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a makita impact driver and use a regular bit holder with the dewalt impact bits. So something like this:
IMG_4438.jpeg

A lot of the people I see on YouTube use an extension bit with their impact driver. Something like this:

IMG_4439.jpeg

They don’t just use it where they need extra reach. It seems to be the norm.

What are the benefits of the extension versus the bit holder being used alone?

Sponsored Links
extensions to me in most setups with impacts 'drills 'cutting blades means a greater compromise less control more strain more energy from motor able to be lost through bending /twisting also causing dammage or MIS aligning off screw or fixing or blade going off line
in other words a 25 or 50mm bit by default in an impact or drill

try an experiment a single bit in the chuck perhaps 2 degree side to side perhaps 2mm at tip
an extension 2 degrees at each join compounded so 8mm side to side and 4 degree at tip

start with things being more accurate and when they go 5% out then whilst not good acceptable but do better
start with more slop in the system then the starting point is say 12% out really easy but not good and never acceptable iff you have pride

Last edited:
They do often allow you to get get better alignment if the screw is near a corner, you can get the driver closer to perpendicular, but no benefit if there are no obstructions.

I expect YouTubers use them so it's easier to film. Less likely that the tool blocks the job from the camera.

Sponsored Links
As above depends what I'm doing.
Have several wera impaktor bit holders with the more common used bits in .
Longer bit holder's I use are milwaukee up to 300mm

I Use a 120mm bit as standard, give more room to hold screws, improves angle into screw head where access at right angles is not possible. Reduces reaching (and strain on shoulder when fitting plasterboard to ceilings.)Just find it more comfortable to use than standard length bits .

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back