Imperial wood screws

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am looking for 4.2mm x 25mm pozi csk twinthread wood screws in yellow zinc. I can find it in BZP and stainless steel. Anyone knows where I can buy the yellow one? The internet says yellow has greater corrosion resistance than silver. SS would cause galvanic corrosion on zinc. I am replacing some old screws and need an exact fit of imperial size 8. Thanks.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Will the 0.2 mm difference between a 4mm screw and a no. 8 be noticeable? Ive never come across yellow passivated screws in imperial sizes. Only self colour or grey. Is brass an option?

M4 metric is a lot less than 4mm. M4.5 is 4.3mm but head too big. The internet says metric took over in the 90's. Wasn't there yellow zinc before that for all the imperial screws used? I have no idea and wasn't into wood screws then.

i use screwfix turbogold and axminster woodspur have been using them for years to repair fence and fence panels and perhaps 7- 10 years on when i remove the very black screws they are fully fine and i recycle and reuse as less obvious than new screws
now i am not saying there is no corrosion as they have changed colour but would guess sub 5%
there is the odd screw thats a bit worse but not many and none have failed

Sponsored Links
Would you say the hinge and the nearest screw are electro-brass? The outer screws are ZYP, more yellowy and less greeny.

The middle m4.5 screw could work but it's single thread. I am unable to find a twin thread m4.5.

screws.png

Last edited:
I don't have the time, or inclination to check, but they will sell individual screws.
You always have time for posting, and conducting cabal business, but no time to come up with good info. But, never mind. I ordered electro brass and took one in the gut for £12, and it's probably slow delivery.

I am sold on the hint of purple on the product image. This is present on the hinge.

hint-of-purple.png

Last edited:
As "ordinary" galvanising has a mottled finish then my guess is that the yellow mottling is zinc plating and a plain yellow finish is electro-brass plating.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back