Indoor v outdoor fairy lights / Christmas lights.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
In the photo are some led lights I have.
They have all been used outside (not by me) and still work.

However, the set on the right have a sealed battery holder a with an IP65 rating and the other 2 are standard indoor battery holder.
I was wondering if anyone knows if this is the only difference between indoor and outdoor for this sort these sort of lights.

IMG_20241003_205709841~2.jpg

Sponsored Links
The other difference would be price and quality, I've found the battery ones generally break after a seasons use. The IP65 rated ones should last longer if they are genuine.

I've used some of those outdoors. I try to place the battery box where rain will not get inside it, with a drip loop in the cable.

You could probably add a plastic bag or tupperware box if you wanted.

The battery contracts can rust.

The battery holders two on the left are not water proof and would likely be damaged ( corroded battery contacts ) by any water that gets in the the holder. They are often considered to be single use and disposable when used for example in floral table decoration where they may get wet.,

The IP65 box will resist low pressure jets of water. The LEDs also appear to have water proofed connections to the wiring.

Sponsored Links
I've used some of those outdoors. I try to place the battery box where rain will not get inside it, with a drip loop in the cable.

You could probably add a plastic bag or tupperware box if you wanted.

The battery contracts can rust.
I was wondering how feasible this would be. I'm sure I can suitably protect the battery box, but not so sure how the LEDs would stand up to the weather.

The other difference would be price and quality,
The LEDs also appear to have water proofed connections to the wiring.
How can you tell they are waterproofed connections?
Both have similar looking shrink wrap or similar around them: the outdoor ones are white and the others are clear (one covered in glitter!). I realise that better quality one might have higher quality glue, but is there anything visually to indicate this?

The difference is that some better quality LED strings use adhesive lined heat shrink sleeving while most lower quality strings do not

Without adhesive the mechanical stress is borne by the solder joint ( wire to LED ) and also moisture can creep into the sleeving

heat shrink creep area.jpg

When adhesive lined heat shrink is used the hot adhesive fills the creep area preventing moisture from reaching the soldered jpints

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back