Inline fan connected to light circuit, notifiable?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I wanted to install an inline fan for the bathroom in the loft and was planning to do the electrical connection until learning while researching that this may not be allowed due to the involvement of the bathroom. I'm looking for guidance about the rules if I DIY, as it's not clear to me if it's allowable/notifiable etc. I'd still like to know what's involved so I understand what I'm asking from the electrician if that's needed.

My current set up has a wall mounted fan, in zone 1 connected via a 12v transformer from the lighting circuit. The feed-in and out and all the other wires connect at the isolator. The wiring from the isolator to the 12v transformer has a switched live (from the light pull) available but this is currently capped as the fan was replaced with an always on humidity controlled version. There's a decent gap under the door and the window has a trickle vent always open and the window is often ajar ("locked" open). This (top of the range) fan is still not powerful enough, and we have a condensation problem especially in the shoulder season. The light pull, fan isolator and transformer are all located IN the bathroom near each other, out of a zone and at ceiling height above the door.

The inline fan will be installed in the loft above the bathroom and I planned to simply take out the existing wiring between the isolator and transformer and clip a new 1mm 3c&E via the joists to the new fan location in the loft. I say simply. I was going to reconnect all the wires, using wagos in a wago box in the loft directly above their current location and take the isolator to near the loft hatch entrance (in the loft) via 3c&e which will be closer to the fan and more logical if maintenance required. Then remove the redundant transformer and fan, fill all the holes and make good the old fan hole in the wall.

At this point is it in "allowed" territory under replace and repair existing accessories? Is it notifiable? The fan itself is not in the bathroom, unfortunately there are electrical elements that are (but "shouldn't" be) but I'm not adding any new elements to what's already there, and arguably resolving an 'unsafe' situation with the non-IPx4 isolator and transformer being in the bathroom and hence making it better than it was.

My research then threw up that I need an RCD for the bathroom and the fan instructions called for 3A fuse. My CU has a single "upstairs lighting" MCB of which the bathroom is on the circuit, and the whole CU is protected by the built in RCD matching the required spec. When I test the RCD, the lights are off. Assuming the lights are served by the RCD does this cover the requirement? Our CU is aged and obviously any changes here would not only need a qualified person but probably replacing the whole thing since they no longer make the parts.

Regarding the fuse, some debate about the usefulness of 3A fuse on lighting circuit. I believe part P says you have to follow manufacturer's instructions. I bought a new face plate with a 3A fuse and 3 pole isolator combined. The wiring scheme for this complicates things because the fuse has to cover the light as well so instead of simply running a longer 3c cable to the isolation switch, to avoid altering all the wiring I'll now have to have another (2c+e) cable going back to the light switch containing the fused live (the other conductor will be not in use and capped either end). OR I suppose I could get a FCU and mount/wire that in appropriately near the wago box, using the 3c&e to the isolator as originally planned. But then we start introducing new components to the circuit. Any other options?

If all of this ends up as not allowed/notifiable, if I take power from the landing light 30cm away instead and fit a manual fan switch for the switched live outside the bathroom does this remove the issue, being that nothing then is actually in the bathroom or touching its electrics? Or if I forego the run-on timer and take power from the switched live connected to the bathroom light would that change anything (the light would be in zone 2 except it's on the ceiling at 2.3m)?

Many thanks in advance if you've read this far, it's a long one but I wanted to get as much info in the post as possible.

Sponsored Links
At this point is it in "allowed" territory under replace and repair existing accessories? Is it notifiable? The fan itself is not in the bathroom, unfortunately there are electrical elements that are (but "shouldn't" be) but I'm not adding any new elements to what's already there, and arguably resolving an 'unsafe' situation with the non-IPx4 isolator and transformer being in the bathroom and hence making it better than it was.
Electrical work in bathrooms is only notifiable within the specified 'zones' of a bathroom, and those zones all end 2.25m above finished floor level.

Anything to do with your fan itself would therefore not be notifiable. However,you probably need to tell us a bit more about the 'electrical elements' which are in the bathroom - but if they are not within the specified bathroom 'zones' and/or you're not going to 'do anything to them', I doubt that any notifiable work would be involved.

Kind Regards, John

The wording of the Building Regulation regarding this type of work is notifiable for:

"(c) any addition or alteration to existing circuits in a special location."

special location being within the bathroom zones.

Electrical work in bathrooms is only notifiable within the specified 'zones' of a bathroom, and those zones all end 2.25m above finished floor level.
special location being within the bathroom zones.
Thanks, this is where I was confused but now I've re-read it I understand. "special location means a) within a room containing a bath or shower..." I was taking that to mean the entire room, and the zones mentioned had special additional requirements. But you're saying it's only the zones.
So the fact the existing fan is in the special location and I'm disconnecting it, doesn't matter?

tell us a bit more about the 'electrical elements' which are in the bathroom
sorry to confuse, I was referring to the 3P fan isolator and transformer out of zone, but not offering 'suitable protection' for being in a bathroom. We're getting quotes for the bathroom refit now, one fitter had kittens about it saying they should be outside. Doesn't seem to be any restriction other than 'suitable protection'. To be fair there's no real risk of splashing but steam ingress and condensation yes.

Now to making sure the work is compliant...
There is the requirement for locations containing a bath or shower to be protected by <=30mA RCD. This also applies to lighting circuits. Does the RCD (with this spec) covering the whole CU suffice for this purpose?

The fan instructions require a 3A fuse. I believe regs say you have to follow manufacturer's instruction but I've seen some debate online about this particular requirement. Is that correct, is it compliant if I don't? To install one the fused output would need to supply the light switch as well as the permanent live on the isolator so that both L and Ls going to the fan are fused.

Sponsored Links
Thanks, this is where I was confused but now I've re-read it I understand. "special location means a) within a room containing a bath or shower..."
It means the whole room in the Wiring Regulations but in the Building Regulations which specify the notification requirements it means only within the bathroom zones.

“special location” means—

(a)
within a room containing a bath or shower, the space surrounding a bath tap or shower head, where the space extends—
(i)
vertically from the finished floor level to—
(aa)
a height of 2.25 metres; or
(bb)
the position of the shower head where it is attached to a wall or ceiling at a point higher than 2.25 metres from that level; and
(ii)
horizontally—
(aa)
where there is a bath tub or shower tray, from the edge of the bath tub or shower tray to a distance of 0.6 metres; or
(bb)
where there is no bath tub or shower tray, from the centre point of the shower head where it is attached to the wall or ceiling to a distance of 1.2 metres; "

It is not supposed to make sense.

I was taking that to mean the entire room, and the zones mentioned had special additional requirements. But you're saying it's only the zones.
So the fact the existing fan is in the special location and I'm disconnecting it, doesn't matter?
Well presumably removing things is not notifiable.

sorry to confuse, I was referring to the 3P fan isolator and transformer out of zone, but not offering 'suitable protection' for being in a bathroom. We're getting quotes for the bathroom refit now, one fitter had kittens about it saying they should be outside. Doesn't seem to be any restriction other than 'suitable protection'. To be fair there's no real risk of splashing but steam ingress and condensation yes.
Switches must be outside the zones.

Now to making sure the work is compliant...
There is the requirement for locations containing a bath or shower to be protected by <=30mA RCD. This also applies to lighting circuits. Does the RCD (with this spec) covering the whole CU suffice for this purpose?
Electrical Regulations so it applies to the whole room.
Yes, one RCD covering all circuits is fine.

The fan instructions require a 3A fuse. I believe regs say you have to follow manufacturer's instruction but I've seen some debate online about this particular requirement. Is that correct,
Yes, we only have to now take into account the MIs.
The fuse isn't necessary - especially if on the 6A lighting circuit.

is it compliant if I don't?
Yes.
The MIs will likely also say that the item must only be fitted by a qualified(or similar word) person but no one ever takes any notice of that one.

To install one the fused output would need to supply the light switch as well as the permanent live on the isolator so that both L and Ls going to the fan are fused.
Well, there are ways round it but yes that is true.

Well, in so far as the Wiring Regs is concerned the whole of the bathroom is a special location.
The definition as far as the Building Regs is concerned I am not sure.
Please note - The Building Regs is law, in this case Part P of the Building regs comes into play and that is what you have to follow, in England and Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland are a bit different.
Part P approved document is not the law, it is merely guidance = one suggested way of complying with Part P.

A few years back BS767 (the IET Wiring Regs that we should follow) did indeed state that manufacturers instructions must be followed, however this was changed a bit into they must be taken into account.
Most of us regard the 3A fuse for a fan as a CYA exercise by the makers of the fan and we believe that a 5A or 6A MCB will suffice because in real life we believe that protection will be at least as good, if not better.

Personally, what you are intending sounds OK to me if I have understood you correctly and if you correct any defects (example zone requirements of switches etc) that are needed in the existing bathroom installation and including (As per Mark Coles when he was a Senior Engineer but is now the Regulation Manager of the IET Wiring Regulations) any other defects of the electrical installation in the location (The bathroom as a whole) , accordingly I suggest following advice of your chosen Electrician.

I suggest following advice of your chosen Electrician
Am I to read this as an indirect way to say I either can't, or shouldn't connect it myself?

Well, in so far as the Wiring Regs is concerned the whole of the bathroom is a special location.
That was my understanding, from my IET Electrician's Guide, part P requires BS7671 to be followed but now thanks to the above I've clarified the definition of special location is relaxed for notification purposes.

The guide has a section the reg requirements for the bathroom. The only relevant one to my situation is the RCD which is met by the overall protection of the CU. And I know that works since a light fitting recently got knocked moving bedroom furniture and it tripped.

correct any defects (example zone requirements of switches etc)....., and including ... any other defects of the electrical installation in the location
To be clear All the current and to-be electrics are outside of a zone, except the existing fan which is being decommissioned. But in the loft almost none of the wires are clipped, most lie on insulation or timber and where light fittings are the wires are buried through or under 27cm of insulation. 1mm derates to 8A - the entire circuit is protected to 6A. Is there anything to be corrected here? I've had professional electrical work done up there and they didn't touch anything else (their work is all clipped, though). Mine will be clipped where I can but I can't avoid laying across insulation (under to be avoided).

There is another aspect of the part P requirements for a minor work certificate, which I guess I can't do myself, I'd have to engage a NAPIT 3rd party certifier throughout the process. I'm not trivialising the importance of testing I assume this requirement is what's ignored by the majority of DIYers. But out of interest if an EICR is later carried out at the property or a new CU installed does this mean the same testing is carried out?

This is Part P of The Building Regulations - The Law:
1717844120806.png

That is it. There is no more.

Approved Document P is a guide that someone wrote to explain Part P.

There is another aspect of the part P requirements for a minor work certificate, which I guess I can't do myself,
What do you mean?
Anyone may - is allowed to - complete a Minor Electrical Installation Works Certificate and indeed a full Electrical Installation Certificate.
The type of certificate does not affect the work or anything to do with it.
Part P says nothing about them; apart from the safety aspect; but the Wiring Regulations do.

I'd have to engage a NAPIT 3rd party certifier throughout the process.
If you can't - are not able - to do it yourself.

I'm not trivialising the importance of testing I assume this requirement is what's ignored by the majority of DIYers. But out of interest if an EICR is later carried out at the property or a new CU installed does this mean the same testing is carried out?
Probably - but you are supposed to test, so may as well record the results, before energising the new work.

Am I to read this as an indirect way to say I either can't, or shouldn't connect it myself?
No, if I were to read it I would be inclined to suppose that I could do it myself if I felt competent to but I noted somewhere you had mentioned your electrician if I understood correctly.

The bit that Mark Coles said at an Elex show, to myself and a few others asked him in case we misunderstood . But his answer was that everything line of site thru the installation had to be compliant . Supply at origin, consumer unit, wiring thru to bathroom, all circuits of the bathroom in every respect even if you are only adding to or altering a circuit or small part of in the bathroom. Not everybody agreed but he was senior engineer and later became wiring regs manager so that carries quite a bit of authority methinks

The bit that Mark Coles said at an Elex show, to myself and a few others asked him in case we misunderstood . But his answer was that everything line of site thru the installation had to be compliant . Supply at origin, consumer unit, wiring thru to bathroom, all circuits of the bathroom in every respect even if you are only adding to or altering a circuit or small part of in the bathroom. Not everybody agreed but he was senior engineer and later became wiring regs manager so that carries quite a bit of authority methinks
What does that all mean?

Ebee: Your writing is very poor and hard to follow lately.

As EFLI has noted, the point you are trying to make is not totally clear. However, if I understand correctly, what Mark Cox said is all about 'compliance with BS7671,, and may be true (although certainly 'open to debate') in that sense.

However, in the context of this discussion, compliance with BS7671 is not a requirement of Part P and, more to the point, compliance with Part P is certainly not a determinant of whether or not work is notifiable. As far as the Law (Building Regs, including Part P) is concerned electrical work in a bathroom is only notifiable (in England) if it is within bathroom zones (as defined by BS7671).

Kind Regards, John

Yes correct John.
My point about that one with Mark Coles was that not only must your new bit in the bathroom be compliant but also everything in the bathroom and the circuit itself right back to the cut out.
Therefore, not every circuit or part of in other rooms but everything for that bathroom circuit right up to the installtion intake and the whole bathroom too, so any shaver sockets, lights, fans etc etc in the bathroom even if the circuit you are actually working on is not one of those.

Example, you put an Electric Shower in the bathroom it is non compliant if the lighting in the bathroom is defective. That`s the kind of thing we did not believe he meant until he confirmed he actually did mean just that.

So you would need to rectify all existing bathroom defects to be as per regs prior to fitting a new shower circuit.

Yes correct John. ... My point about that one with Mark Coles was that not only must your new bit in the bathroom be compliant but also everything in the bathroom and the circuit itself right back to the cut out. ... Therefore, not every circuit or part of in other rooms but everything for that bathroom circuit right up to the installtion intake and the whole bathroom too, so any shaver sockets, lights, fans etc etc in the bathroom even if the circuit you are actually working on is not one of those.
Sure, I understand that was the point being made but, as I wrote, 'at most' (i.e. subject to debate/argument) that only relates to strict compliance with BS7671. As far as notification is concerned, the Building Regs ('the law') are clear in saying that electrical work in a bathroom is only notifiable if it is within the bathroom zones (confusingly, as defined by BS7671), regardless of anything else in the bathroom (or other parts of the installation).
Example, you put an Electric Shower in the bathroom it is non compliant if the lighting in the bathroom is defective. That`s the kind of thing we did not believe he meant until he confirmed he actually did mean just that.
... as above, apart from not really corresponding with common sense, that only relates to compliance with BS7671, not 'notifiability'

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back