Installing a beam to support loft inspection path

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am thinking of installing two 2 x 6 beams that would support short inspection path above insulation. They would be supported in the middle by 2 x 4 ceiling binder that rests on the inner and outer walls.

The path would be constructed from two 2 x 6 beams about 1.6m long each and would be suspended on internal wall one side (same as the ceiling binder) and on these two new 2 x 6 beams (2m span each) on the other.

I was considering raising the floor from ceiling joists but they are already a bit knackered and ceiling shows signs of cracking in that area hence thinking about other solutions.

My thinking is that it would be enough to support for one person standing on this new path and at the same time do not directly impact ceiling joists.

Is that a bad idea?

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
If the internal wall and ceiling binder are load bearing that might work, but your description is confusing., a drawing would help.

WhatsApp Image 2024-10-14 at 12.29.49.jpeg

The ceiling binder in question (higher on the photo) is about 4m long and is fixed to external wall (not seen on the photo) and internal wall as seen on the photo.

Sponsored Links
Bumping in hope someone responds.
A ceiling binder is designed to stiffen the ceiling joists rather than add structural strength, but if its seated on structural walls and of relatively short length as appears to be the case, then it might work. Do the binder and the two new beams equally take the load of the new path, and what is that path constructed of?

The path will be 6x2 beams attached to perpendicular beams with standard loft boards on top. The new beams perpendicular to the path will be spreading the load mostly on the binder as the other sides at the far ends will be fixed to the rafters that reside on wall plates.

Last edited:
The weight of the new timbers and the "path" has to be at least as great as the weight of a man on the joists. Maybe just lay down some insulation board, but that depends on what your inspecting/working on.

Why does the weight of the new timbers have to be at least as great as the weight of a man on the joists?

This path is leading to heat pump and F&E tank so needs access.

As far as I can see, those yellow beams just load the binder at or near mid span - it's weakest point. Have a look elsewhere - purlins/ridge beam that you can "hang" your walkway from or knock up a couple of spliced beams from those 6x2's to span wall to wall - there will be a bit of sag but just raise them so they don't touch the ceiling joists.

Why does the weight of the new timbers have to be at least as great as the weight of a man on the joists?

This path is leading to heat pump and F&E tank so needs access.
I mean they are likely to be the same weight or more, so cannot really rely on the binder, as opposed to structural walls

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back