Installing a beam to support loft inspection path

Since I am considering replacing it I suppose I should redo it with longer 2x6 (C24 instead of C16) timber as 2x8 would be too heavy to be attached to 2x3 rafters. What do you think?

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Lower the better (but leave at least 25mm above the binder so it doesn't start pressing onto it if it deflects a bit). I know you're calling it a "tie" but that serves a completely different purpose - yours is just a beam. If you've fixed it in place have a careful bounce mid span and see how it feels - I'm sure it will be fine for the intended use.

Thanks @cdbe for valuable input.

I will position as you say and settled on 2x7 C24 in the end. Hope it does not overload the 2x3 rafters too much with the F&E tank being held up by the same rafters as well (I think it shouldn't as it will be installed very close to the wall plates).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back