Installing new rafter tie

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am thinking of installing a rafter tie that would support short inspection path above insulation.

The path would be about 1.6m long and would be suspended on internal wall one side and on this new 2 x 6 rafter tie (4m span) on the other.

I was considering raising the floor from ceiling joists but they are already a bit knackered and ceiling shows signs of cracking in that area hence thinking about other solutions.

My thinking is this would strengthen the rafters in that area and at the same time provide support for one person standing on this new path.

Is that a bad idea?

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Alternatively (if I cannot fit the 3.6m span beam as that is the measured span) is it ok to halve it and attach two sides to ceiling binder? This is not going to strengthen the rafter but at least it would mean I can construct the inspection path from it?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back