Integrated Bathroom Light and Extractor Fan (Fan not working)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
OK so as above I have an integrated bathroom extractor and light. The fan has stopped working but the light is fine. Any suggestions about what to check before I go and shell out another £75 please?
All other electrics upstairs are working fine so not a fuse issue AFIK.
This has happened on the hottest day of the year so loft temp will have been very high so wondering if this has had an impact on it.

Sponsored Links
The fan and the light in those things are electrically separate.

You need a two-probe voltage tester, go up in the loft and see if the live, switched live and neutral are present on the treminal block on the fan logic board.
If they are there, and operate as expected then you need a new fan.
If they are not there then you have a wiring fault of some sort.

Sponsored Links
If it is one of those kits with the weedy little inline fans (shown below), it's best to replace the fan with a decent one if it turns out to be faulty. Those little ones are a waste of plastic.
vytyazhka-u-vannu-3.jpg

If it is one of those kits with the weedy little inline fans (shown below), it's best to replace the fan with a decent one if it turns out to be faulty. Those little ones are a waste of plastic.
vytyazhka-u-vannu-3.jpg
Yes it's a weedy Manrose SF100T that appears to be faulty. Any suggestions for a suitable replacement please? Don't want to spend too much though - this one lasted 5 years.

I like the Vortice Lineo inline fans, cheap and reliable (Ignore the prices on the Vortice website). Will outperform the one you have by a long way. I usually hang them from the under side of the roof or from a batten with big long cable ties or similar to stop the vibration being transmitted to the ceiling. It also stops them being smothered with loft insulation. They are very quiet too. We have been fitting them for ages and I've not heard of a failure yet, I've had one home here for over 2 years so far.
In a cold loft space, insulated ducting should be used to prevent condensation forming inside the duct. This often kills the little fans as the condensation runs down the motor wires and onto the timer circuit below. Most better fans have the electronics on the top of the unit.

Last edited:
I recently got this https://www.tesco.com/direct/manros...tor-fan-with-timer/474-3959.prd?source=others

It is not the same as the cheap white manrose fans. Much better quality. It is very powerful too. So much so that on the lowest setting I can feel the suction. It is also near silent. However, to increase airflow over a long distance, I used solid ducting which means there is a bit more airflow noise on the grill end.

I recently got this https://www.tesco.com/direct/manros...tor-fan-with-timer/474-3959.prd?source=others

It is not the same as the cheap white manrose fans. Much better quality. It is very powerful too. So much so that on the lowest setting I can feel the suction. It is also near silent. However, to increase airflow over a long distance, I used solid ducting which means there is a bit more airflow noise on the grill end.
Thats a good price. Screwfix/Toolstation sell that for nearer £70.

I know! I like sniffing out a good deal and was quite surprised when I found it. Free delivery too (I think I used a code). Even if not, £3 is pretty cheap

Far more powerful and quiet than I thought it would be.

Last edited:
Thanks,

Felxible ducting should be pulled taught for maximum airflow. Try not to have it all scrunched up. Flexible ducting is better for reducing airflow noise. It is also much easier to install....just do it properly. Insulated type may be advisiable as per above. Also tape all the joins with duct tape to ensure a good seal.

As I said, I went for solid ducting which can be more of a pain (cutting to size and dealing with bends) The positives are that it is less likely to catch dust on the inside (or if it does, it is easier to clean). It also is more rigid and easier to clean externally and does not get in the way as much. Mine runs horizontally through a garage for 2m so I wanted somthing that could hold itself up, out of the way.

The type of grille you use can also contribute to airflow noise. Mine has a fine dust/insect mesh on it which introduces airflow resistance and hence more noise. Even on it's lowest setting, this fan can still suck and hold a sheet of paper towel against the grille.

Last edited:
Me too initially. I was quite surprised at the airflow noise once I had fitted it all. I thought I had made the wrong decision to use solid ducting.

But from what I have read since, the hard surface of the tubing can reflect a lot of the sound (created by high airflow) down the tubing. Noise is also transmitted more readily through the material itself (any vibration noise etc), whereas with the flexible ducting, the flexible nature dissipates a lot of the airflow noise and any physical vibration. The ribbed nature of the flexible ducting introduces an uneven surface (like a basic baffle) which again seems to dissipate airflow noise.

I actually tested this. The fan sits in-between two sections of pipe. I removed one and tried the flexible ducting. The airflow noise was noticeably reduced. With the solid ducting there was a whistling/rush of air noise along with a slight hollow/echo reverberation sound.

As I preferred the rigid ducting, I decided to use some makeshift baffles/mufflers. I used some pipe insulation which was 100mm in diameter and had an internal bore of 80mm. I slotted this into the rigid ducting so it lined the inside perfectly. It really worked to dull the noise. Yes, the airflow will be reduced somewhat but it is now much quieter, better insulated (internally and externally).

The resistance of the grill still introduces some noise. There are low resistance options. But, again, I prefer the mesh dust and fly filter.

I would imagine a good solution to reduce some noise is to have a small amount of flexible ducting joining the in-line fan to the solid ducting.

Perhaps I also underestimated the power of the fan (even on the lowest setting) for my requirements. A less powerful fan may have a low enough airflow (but still the required amount needed) to make the problem of airflow noise a non-issue. However, this was one of the lowest power but good quality in-line fans I could find.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back