Integrated Bathroom Light and Extractor Fan (Fan not working)

I saw those, but they were out of my budget.

My current set-up is pretty quiet now overall. It was not that bad to begin with. Just louder than I expected. Now it just sounds like a gentle rush of air.

I wonder how much that unit actually reduces airflow noise. It would be interesting to see/test. A lot of the noise comes from the grille as far as I can tell. So even that quiet fan may not have much impact on it.

The actual fan unit I have is near silent. When in the garage and it is running, I cannot hear it at all. So the noise all seems to be generated from airflow within and along the ducting.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
So my fan arrived, spent a couple of hours fitting it (hard to get to area in the loft and needed a mounting) switched on and didn't work but could feel heat from the PCB. Switched it off and removed it to send back as faulty and looked at the invoice in the box and noticed it wasn't actually my name. Another piece of paper was actually a returns label with a different name. I rang the guys phone number on the returns label and it turns out he returned it after 3 months as being faulty. It has just been sent straight back out to me! Not happy and my time down the flaming drain!

Hmm, sorry to hear that.

It is a good fan, so hopefully just an oversight. My fan works fine still. No issues.

It is frustrating when things like that happen.

Do be aware that the fan only works when a permenant live is connected. It will not work with just a switched live and neutral.

If you do not have a permenant live (for the over-run) you have to put a small length of cable from the switched live to the permenant live. Then it works perfectly (but without an over-run).

Just a thought.

Hmm, sorry to hear that.

It is a good fan, so hopefully just an oversight. Mine fan works fine still.No issues.

Do be aware that the fan only works when a permenant live is connected. It will not work with just a switched live and neutral.

If you do not have a permenant live (for the over-run) you have to put a small length of cable from the switched live to the permenant live. Then it works perfectly.

Just a thought.

Yes there is a permanent live as it is replacing the rubbishy Manrose which also had an over run thanks. Just very frustrated at a wasted afternoon now!

Sponsored Links
Fan has now been replaced and fitted and is working fine but I have noticed that the original fan (fitted 5 years ago) was not fitted with an inline 3 amp fuse as stipulated in the instructions. The fan is fitted in the loft above the bathroom (it runs off the lighting ring main being protected by the mcb in the garage) and I seem to be seeing various advice on whether it is necessary or not.
Again any advice would be welcome.

Although I am relatively happy to install some electrics I'm not sure that fitting a spurred fuse is something I would want to do.

(it runs off the lighting ring main being protected by the mcb in the garage)
Light circuits are not rings.

and I seem to be seeing various advice on whether it is necessary or not.
It, a 3A fuse, is not necessary electrically.
Fuses are to protect the circuit wiring; the 6A MCB does this.
As you say, the manufacturer may state that a 3A fuse is required but it is unlikely this will have any benefit.
If the product actually requires it then it is not fit for purpose as it should be made with an internal fuse. The trouble is we can't tell.

Although I am relatively happy to install some electrics I'm not sure that fitting a spurred fuse is something I would want to do.
If you mean the Fused Connector Unit (which sometimes is incorrectly called a fused spur. The cable is the spur, fused or not) then it is no different than wiring a switch.

What sort of fan light is it? Photos?
I have a similar issue. I fitted a new light switch but the fan isn't working now. A local electrician told me today it was the fan thats broken so I went out and got a replacement. It' still not working. It must be the wiring. Can any you guys offer some advice ?

I have a similar issue. I fitted a new light switch but the fan isn't working now. A local electrician told me today it was the fan thats broken so I went out and got a replacement. It' still not working. It must be the wiring. Can any you guys offer some advice ?
1. It’s better to start a new topic rather than hijack another’s.
2. Post pictures of the wiring of both the old and the new switches.

20180501_151509.jpg
20180501_151509.jpg

1. It’s better to start a new topic rather than hijack another’s.
2. Post pictures of the wiring of both the old and the new switches.

Sorry fella.
I had started a new thread but got no reply then seen this similar issue.
I don't have the old wiring pics as i had deleted them foolishly thinking everything was okay but here is the new. If I take out the blue neutral and the yellow to the right hand side then nothing happens as all lights still work. Im stumped.

I don't have the old wiring pics as i had deleted them foolishly thinking everything was okay
Oh dear.

If I take out the blue neutral and the yellow to the right hand side then nothing happens as all lights still work.
Why did you take them out?

Basically you have to choose between Plan A and Plan B.

PLAN A:
PLAN B:
  • Get an electrician.
There are some irresponsible people here who will tell you that there is a Plan C, which is to start trying different things without really knowing what's going on, hoping to get it working by luck, or by blindly following instructions to put-this-wire-in-that-hole without any idea as to why. Please don't listen to them - you must know what, and truly understand what, you are doing.

Electrical-installation-by-guesswork is a foolish idea.

There is no Plan C for anybody sensible.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back