internal fuse in tungsten filament lamps?

Sponsored Links
That’s a good conversation from a small question – thank you, all of you. The extra point about banning TF lamps is interesting. There’s no such ban here in the Philippines, but they have almost disappeared from the supermarkets and electrical stores where I live – a very long way indeed from the capital. It might be that a ban is not necessary anyway. There is a problem with the disposal of fluorescent lamps I think – they contain dangerous metals. We’re using a single 100w TF lamp to keep our piglets warm - the night temperature sometimes sinks to 23°C.

I’ve never read the Filipino wiring regulations, which would be ignored by most domestic users anyway. Our local electricity co-operative connects their wires by twisting with occasional plastic tape. When they inspected my British system, with everything earthed, including the lighting, they were surprised and delighted; they especially liked the fused plugs. We use black-live and white-neutral but I used the cables I’d brought from the UK and they were quite happy with the funny colours. In 1994 there was no sign of an earth wire anywhere around here. Lately three-pin sockets and plugs have been appearing - I think the regulations prescribe them., but then regulations are made to be broken.

The lamps that occasioned my question were Philips. I have also found their fluorescents poor indeed, with a high failure rate. Both Akari and Firefly (Chinese made) are low-priced and reliable. It’s possible the Philips are fakes (which we call “Philips-Philips”) but the packaging (a give-away for fakes usually) looks correct.

Internal fuses would have blown quicker than the old wire fuses. Is it possible that the plug fuses blow as quick or quicker than the internal? And a circuit breaker . . .? They might be redundant.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back