Is a roof membrane compulsory? (Ed.) Loft Conversion with 1930s boarded roof

Have you spoken with the architect/builder about the Local Authority overseeing Approval, I wonder if there'll be a push back to use their approved inspector instead ....

Sponsored Links
Thought to update on this:

I spoke to my local authorities' building control team (I did not realise they give advice via calls). They told me we don't have to lift the tiles. They rationalised it as the roof is an existing roof built as it is (not leaking, presumably). The loft conversion, while creating a habitable room, will not need to bring the roof "up to the new code." A membrane is needed only if we redo the roof, or at least 50% of it.

So now you can instruct your architect/builder to do what you want not what they want, I gotta say alarm bells start ringing when builders and architects in cahoots sing from the same (wrong) hymn sheet.

So now you can instruct your architect/builder to do what you want not what they want, I gotta say alarm bells start ringing when builders and architects in cahoots sing from the same (wrong) hymn sheet.
The builder did not care which BC I used (which I thought was quite reassuring); he only said to try to use a private one to speed things up.

After I delivered the LA building control's reply to the architect, he said the code regarding the membrane might be wishy-washy and not the best practice, so there is a slight risk of another building control disagreeing with it. He claims he cannot see clearly where in the code says "it is not needed if it's a loft conversion". To reduce this risk, he said it is worth using a slightly less difficult one (but no one affiliated with the builder to reduce the risk).

Sponsored Links
Private Building Control are best avoided in my opinion, typically chosen by builders because they get an easier ride, there's a thread running a few down the page from yours highlighting the utter nightmare should they go out of business. https://www.diynot.com/diy/threads/building-control-firm-liquidation.633510/
there should be systems in place to protect customers when a private building control company goes bust

in my limited experience of using private building controllers they are rather too lax on accepting photos as evidence, pinged over from the builder. I remember chatting to one inspector and he said he had 300 live projects at a time to deal with -no wonder he never hung around for more than 5 minutes

I suspect they would like you to have scaffolding to make life easier for getting materials up, rather than dragging everything through the house. Also you have sarking boards so they are going to find it a bit more difficult to vent if you don't have a membrane.

Thank you all for the advice! I thought I'd revive this thread. We've decided not to replace the roof for now, as it's still in reasonably good condition.

While discussing the roof with various experts, one person (the surveyor who inspected the house when we purchased it) suggested an interim solution: "lining the undersides of the rafters with a waterproof membrane." I mentioned this to the architect and the builder, but they had some reservations. Their concerns were: 1) Where exactly would the membrane be placed? Anything above it would still get wet. 2) Wouldn't the water just find another path and eventually end up inside the house?

To be honest, I'm having a hard time visualising how the membrane would work in practice. I presume this is more a risk mitigation and damage control (if leaks) sort solution, but presumably can be executed rather cheaply. Has anyone here considered or implemented a similar approach? Would appreciate any thoughts here.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back