Is my earthing or bonding correct?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I also have a question re: earthing water mains. My house is old (newly bought by me) and needs a rewire. Earthed to fuse board but not the watermains. I had it booked in but my elderly cat has become ill - I can't put him in a cattery and no family nearby to support.

How dangerous is this? Could i just remove the fuse for the kitchen so there is no electricity in there? Am I still ok in the bathroom?

Sponsored Links
I haven't read the thread

Kitchen sinks do not need earthing.

The incoming water main supply - if metal - should be bonded (joined) to the electrical installation because it is earthed by the ground.
Is the pipe metal and is there a green and yellow cable attached to the pipe where it enters the house?

I hope your cat gets better very soon.

I haven’t read it either. As EFLI says, maybe your water main is not metal. If it’s plastic then it doesn’t need bonding.

The fuse board is the original 1950s. There was a beige wire which ran from this outside but it didn’t lead to the main fuse board.
IMG_2397.jpeg

Sponsored Links
Have a look upstream/downstream of that pipe. There must be a at least a 10mm earth wire going to the fuseboard.

so the fuse board is really old, the only thing I can see going into it is a grey thick wire which the electricians said must be for the electric shower. I can see something similar running outside the house but it doesn't come into the kitchen. The only thing that did come in was a beige wire which sat on top of the pipe, held by a plastic tie. The ends were loose but closed, I actually didn't realise what this was so i removed it, but that could have led outside to connect with the thicker grey wire? The original wire was plastic cable but inside I can see the green/yellow wires.

This isn't getting anywhere.

Whibley: The only way you can determine if things (bonding) are as they should be is to get an electrician to inspect it.

Please answer: Is your water supply pipe outside metal or plastic?

How dangerous is this?
Bonding is to protect people who happen to be touching two different metal parts (i.e. a metal light fitting and a tap) at the same time and at the very moment a fault occurs in the electrical supply. At other times it makes no difference.

Could i just remove the fuse for the kitchen so there is no electricity in there?
No.

Am I still ok in the bathroom?
If people have been until now then - yes.

Not possible to tell from the internet.

You would see it entering the fuseboard.
Send a picture of your fuseboard (stand a bit back so all wires can be identified.)
It might be attached to an earth block ( not in the Consumer Unit, or fuse board if there is one). I note the presence of green and yellow cable and bonding straps, which are encouraging.

….yeah I removed it (!) the part on top was just sat on top of the pipe. It wasn’t fixed. How does the wire leading outside attach? Is it screwed / fixed to the wires in the photo? I know this is going round the houses a bit - I’ve had a quote and all, just wondering how dangerous it is.

If that is true, the installation is unsafe and should be disconnected immediately.
Less safe than in was ~70 years ago (or at any time during the ensuing ~70 years)? ... If so, what aspect of the 'fuse board' do you envisage will have deteriorated such as to result in it "becoming unsafe"?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back