Is our house due for a roof replacement?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We live in a small end-of-terrace 3-bed. Roof is concrete shingles.

Main issue is with the felt, which has obviously ended its life...
It crumbles to the touch and, in some areas - the felt has completely collapsed on the loft floor!

Furthermore, the shingles are deeply covered in moss.
I know the general advice is to not remove it but we have clumps of moss falling all the time...
Like, if you left your shoes out, tomorrow there will be a moss cake in them!
Also, those little dots the moss releases damage anything parked under our house.

As for leakage: We do get a few drops come through into the loft. So far, the leaks are not touching the woodwork and evaporate before they can puddle (they leave a stain on the decking and the stains are all pretty small)
Woodwork in general feels alright. I am no carpenter but the timber looks healthy, no signs of rot or loosening.

Maybe what we really need is a few professional repairs?
On the other hand: How is anyone going to refit new felt without lifting the tiles?
Money-wise: We'll have to take a loan to pay for anything over £5000 (not exactly a rich family!)

Thanks for your thoughts and advice :)

Sponsored Links
You can't fit felt without lifting the tiles, it sounds like it's at or is nearing the end of it's life, got some decent photos of the outside?

I mean, some light touch and you get 50p-sized flakes of felt falling off.
Basically I am lucky that the tiles do their job - probably the moss is helping too :D

Useful Pictures will be tricky due to the topology at my plot...
But: If we are talking about lifting tiles - and no way they are going to assemble the old ones back (unless they want to play "moss jigsaw puzzle) - then it's pretty clear this is a "new roof" job?

Any ballpark figures appropriate for 2024 (assuming frames are fine), please?

Roof is very simple: Two planes on an angle, one hole for the sewage gas pipe (no chimney, lead work or velux, etc).
Each plane is 4.5mX5m. So, 45 square meters, the whole roof area, at most..

Sponsored Links
I mean, some light touch and you get 50p-sized flakes of felt falling off.
Basically I am lucky that the tiles do their job - probably the moss is helping too :D

Useful Pictures will be tricky due to the topology at my plot...
But: If we are talking about lifting tiles - and no way they are going to assemble the old ones back (unless they want to play "moss jigsaw puzzle) - then it's pretty clear this is a "new roof" job?

Any ballpark figures appropriate for 2024 (assuming frames are fine), please?

Roof is very simple: Two planes on an angle, one hole for the sewage gas pipe (no chimney, lead work or velux, etc).
Each plane is 4.5mX5m. So, 45 square meters, the whole roof area, at most..
Upwards of £5.5k plus scaffold?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back