Is there any reason a spur would have L and N transposed on the load? (Ed.)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I am changing an outside light
when i removed the light. It had brown tape on the blue wire and blue tape on the brown. :unsure:

So i inspected the spur. spur had LOAD wired in reverse (L and N reversed):notworthy::unsure:

But the wires going from the socket to the spur all seem correct. (until they get swapped going into the spur)

On testing with the pen tester thing ...the L was giving a signal. so I think all the mains sockets are good. plus I tested the socket with the plug in test thing,

Is there a reason why anyone would swap these over?

Can I just wire this correctly

Thanks

outside light
IMG20240919161218.jpg

inside

IMG20240919170429.jpg
IMG20240919170500.jpg
IMG20240919160915.jpg
IMG_20240919_195356.jpg

Sponsored Links
The wiring colours need to be correct at both ends of the cable, so best to check both ends, and decide why they had decided to reverse it.

Yes.. my question is..

is there any reason why someone would reverse this?

And would putting it correctly be dangerous?

Sponsored Links
I also do not know why any one would do that - very odd.
Presumably discovered earlier and decided tape easier than altering.

However -
It had brown tape on the blue wire and blue tape on the brown.
Ok. Would you consider that as identifying the use of the conductors as per the regulations? :)

So i inspected the spur. spur had LOAD wired in reverse (L and N reversed)
Well, to be accurate it is only the colours that are reversed; the actual L and N are correct.

Hang on..the LOAD part of the spur has L an N .. Reversed..

The Supply part looks ok.. but it's been reversed by then..

Am I getting this right

is there any reason why someone would reverse this?

That is why you need to investigate, why they have done, what they have done. They might have even done a joint in the cable, where they crossed it, then couldn't be bothered to redo the joint. As said - you need to investigate, before correcting it.

And would putting it correctly be dangerous?

There are number of issues caused by wrong polarity,

The cable going though the wall is a single piece of twin and earth with no joins.

The cable coming from the sockets to the spur also appears to be a single cable. And the pen tester indicates live on the line coming to the spur.

So that all looks ok

Last edited:
If you was to forget about colours it's still the same and would work as normal, just cant get my head around why.

I suggest the original light fitting was a basic bulkhead or so where the error at the switch simply wasn't noticed. moving on and the light fitting was changed by a DIYer and the error was spotted and sleeved.

Quite a simple scenario.

'course it's also possible there is a brown to CPC fault and this botch stopped the MCB tripping.

I suggest the original light fitting was a basic bulkhead or so where the error at the switch simply wasn't noticed. moving on and the light fitting was changed by a DIYer and the error was spotted and sleeved.

Quite a simple scenario.

'course it's also possible there is a brown to CPC fault and this botch stopped the MCB tripping.
Looking at the pics again the switch still looks original and doesn't look got at. So doesn't look like a DIYers secondary balls up

My concerns..

it's confusing.. And confusing=potentially dangerous.

And the spur is wired backwards. Does it work wired wrong?

And also there might be a good reason for the crossed over wiring that I don't know about. Hence my post. Asking if there was ever a good reason for this to be wired like this...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back