Is there any such thing as a repairable bread maker?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've owned at least 8 bread makers in the past 20 years, of which I only bought 2-3, most of them being cast-offs from friends/family who liked the idea but not the actual reality.
They seem to be pretty unreliable in general, easily the least-reliable domestic appliance. In the same time I've owned 4 toasters and two washing machines.
So are there any that are user repairable? I bought an absurdly expensive Dualit toaster on the basis that almost all parts are available, either from the manufacturer or third parties, and I expect the toaster to out-live me as a result. Parts wise, bread makers seem to be limited to pans and paddles.

Sponsored Links
I bought a Panasonic as they were supposed to have good parts avaialability? Got ours yonks ago as a 'refurbed' unit. Not gone wrong so far. {Touches wood}

eSpares / Currys and their clone sites seems to have 'no availability' though. But Kitchenwareonline.com do!

I'm not sure the cost to repair would be worthwhile if/when something goes wrong, though cf buying new.

So are there any that are user repairable?
Most are repairable in some way or another - have a look at this thread...

Many successful repairs affected by a change of the motor capacitor.

Sponsored Links
Annoyingly, the manufacturers go out of their way to make it difficult for owners to fix devices. My stepfather recently wanted to repair my mum's Von Hausen food processor. I had to spend a tenner+ on screwdrivers with triangular heads. Once ordered, he was able to fix it. Other times, to replace the flex on a green Bosch hedge trimmer, I started off by using Torx screwdrivers and discovered that the screw buried deepest into the plastic body was a Torx with the central pin.

I had to buy a long set of them.

I understand firms not wanting customers to tinker with machines and then claim that the machine was dodgy, but you could mitigate the risks by using security tape. The use of obscure screws is clearly intended to thwart DIY repairs.

I've had my current Morphy Richards fastbake since 2011. It's used at least 3 times every week. Apart from replacement pans and paddles (easily obtained from espares) , I've had to replace the belt. A bit awkward, but not impossible.

Here's this year's bread maker - Breville VM015:
1726422002201.png

The two large gears aren't aligned properly, so they slip past each other [sometimes, but not all the time] and it makes an incredible racket. I think the bearings are worn so that's why the gears are no longer in the same plane. I could probably replace the large gears with pulley wheels...if it's worth the effort.

Here's this year's bread maker - Breville VM015:
View attachment 355607
The two large gears aren't aligned properly, so they slip past each other [sometimes, but not all the time] and it makes an incredible racket. I think the bearings are worn so that's why the gears are no longer in the same plane. I could probably replace the large gears with pulley wheels...if it's worth the effort.

Might it be the case that the teeth have worn down?

I've owned at least 8 bread makers in the past 20 years, of which I only bought 2-3, most of them being cast-offs from friends/family who liked the idea but not the actual reality.
They seem to be pretty unreliable in general, easily the least-reliable domestic appliance. In the same time I've owned 4 toasters and two washing machines.
So are there any that are user repairable? I bought an absurdly expensive Dualit toaster on the basis that almost all parts are available, either from the manufacturer or third parties, and I expect the toaster to out-live me as a result. Parts wise, bread makers seem to be limited to pans and paddles.
I’ve had a top of the range Panasonic, done hundreds of loaves in it and so far it’s been ok

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back