Is this right for a porch?

r_c

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just had a porch installed and thought it seemed odd that this bit was sticking out. I bought this porch kit online, and I have noticed that in their side on plan it does show a protruding beyond the roof, so I think the builder has put it up as per the spec/design.

It just seems a bit odd to have this exposed. I feel as if water will collect on probably seep back into the junctions of the porch and weaken it eventually.

I don't know much about building, so would appreciate your thoughts.

Sponsored Links
Looks OK, ask him to trim them down a bit if you don't like it, what does the pic in the brochure look like? Probably last longer than the rest of the house.

Sponsored Links
Does seem like an odd design detail, I would have trimmed if flush if it were mine but not sure if it's worth the effort of doing now.

Are the splits/shakes in the timber cause for concern? I genuinely do not know.

Are the splits/shakes in the timber cause for concern? I genuinely do not know.
what you expect with oak no loss off strength though

i think the problem is the timbers used are really chunky needing a decent sized bracket to look correct
in the correct setting it would be perhaps 2ft higher up on a grander entrance with longer legs and perhaps 2ft more roof overhang then the proportions would look correct
but fully a guess ??
but wonderful character so just enjoy

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back