Issue with water flow in property

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

I recently been at property that has been empty for 2 years and come across this issue.

When you turn on cold water it runs for about 20 minutes then slows down and then stops. I tried this in the kitchen. The upstairs no water comes out of the tap. I thought it might be a issue with the water tanks in the loft but when going up to look at them, they are not connected so probably have not been in use for many years.

I then turned on and off the stopcock, that has made no difference. I can't see any leaks around the property either.
I noticed Severn Trent put in a water metre outside recently but is not connected yet, so not sure again if they could have been told to turn off the water but then I would expect no water to come in or if there is a leak on their side.

Sponsored Links
If it's all mains then it has to be something to do with the actual mains supply/tap/outside tap.

Are you sure the attic cistern is disconnected? No water in the upstairs bathroom would suggest it could be fed from the attic. How about Hot water, how it that delivered?

If it's all mains then it has to be something to do with the actual mains supply/tap/outside tap.

Are you sure the attic cistern is disconnected? No water in the upstairs bathroom would suggest it could be fed from the attic. How about Hot water, how it that delivered?
Thanks for the response. I was thinking possibly to call out Severn Trent Water as first step.

It is disconnected as I have removed the tanks from the stand, not sure if it was a step that previous occupiers took as the property was on probate and was unoccupied for 2 years.

The boiler is quite dated but again we are not seeing it delivered. We managed to get the pressure up on the boiler but again it is not distributing it through the property.

OK - time to get a plumber then, there is obviously something wrong with the supply and whether there are other isolation points in the property. It needs a proper fault find and that, unfortunately, isn't something that can really be done online

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Thanks for the response.

I did get Severn Trent to come out, they helped slightly but still not resolved the issue. It does look like a supply issue as the water is coming through to kitchen sink but is slowly trickling through.

It does look like a supply issue as the water is coming through to kitchen sink but is slowly trickling through.
Sounds like a restriction/valve or tap that isn't opening properly. Needs to be isolated at the outside mains, take off the first mains tap and fit a new one and reinstate the mains and take it from there.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back