Joists Rotten at Both Ends - Sister or Replace?

OP,
1. Ref the plates, I had earlier noticed & referred to them - I was of the understanding that you were going to do more clearance/digging work, & then post fresh pics?
2. The plates will have to be removed - demolish the "humped wall" & plate at the bay, & replace with a carrier beam spanning the bay opening.
3. Demolish the room centred plate, and replace it with a carrier beam.
4. Dig out under the new beams to allow for more ventilation. Three a/b's are needed in the bay.
5. The finished hearth is sitting on soil - it will need trimming - & possibly, your call, digging out?
6. The last two pics show dry rot - remove bricks & mortar either side of the pocket, and clean out and soak with fungicide - do this with any suspect pockets.
7. There's a ground, a nailing length of timber running at skirting height, close up pics needed near the door?
8. If you disturb the door frame - even a few mm's you might then have opening & closing difficulties.

The nail puller or "Cat's Paw" has been a standard in framing carpenters tool bags for many years. They are made by all the large tool Mfr's. A cats paw & a mini flat bar in the tool bag will deal with most difficulties.

Sponsored Links
1. Ah apologies, have done that now and pics below.
2. Why demolish the humped wall vs leave it and put damp proof course under joists?
3. The room centred plate is a carrier beam - see pics below.
4. Yes definitely - spent the last 2 weeks doing that and nearly complete. By a/b's - is that air bricks? If so do you mean to outside? I'm confident that the solum will be well vented by the end of this.
5. It's sitting on large sandstone blocks, then loose debris which is sort of solid but breaks apart very easily, then what looks like a top lump of cement - probably dumped down from above when the new hearth was fitted. There was a joist there running under the front lip of it so my intention was to replace that and ensure the underside of the hearth is properly supported by the new joist.
6. I haven't noticed any but will keep a look out and treat as a precaution.
7. Yes that's what the skirting was attached to. It's attached to the lath/wall behind it and seems the only purpose is to support the skirting.
8. Got it, thanks.

Approx location of where new joist will sit under hearth. There was one there very rotten and it was very badly repaired. Think originally it would've spanned the room.
1724329420456.png

Underneath hearth. Earth then big sandstone rocks, then loose rubble then cement.
1724329469287.png

Close up of the wall plate embedded inside the internal wall. Seems the wall is brick, loose rubble in the middle then another brick. The wooden wall plate is in the centre so the bricks seem to be supported either side of it. This gives me confidence it's not as structurally integral as I worried it might be.
1724329561117.png

Alternate photo showing the bricks being wider than the wall plate
1724329638917.png

On the external wall the wall plate was right at the front on the stone. Again the external wall seems to be stone on the inside and outside, and looser rubble/stones in the middle. The joist was on the wall plate on the internal stone (red lines) then looser rubble behind (green lines).
1724329788874.png

The centre support beam appears to have been resting directly on the soil
1724329851024.png

Better clearance under the joists and centre beam
1724329891490.png

Attachments

• 1724329717702.png
    1724329717702.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 18
OP,
2. Because (you say or I saw) its showing signs of rot, & using a new carrier beam will give more clearance for ventilation, just like the freshly positioned centre beam.
3. I knew that - its rotting.
5. If, & when, you trim the hearth & chimney breast then joists should not be used to carry the hearth.
6. Dry rot is visible in your last pic.
Both ends of each joist need treating & capping - I dont see any capping?

Sponsored Links
Thanks again

I've not started any repair work yet, only digging out the solum. Was wanting to feel confident in the plan before I tackle anything. Appreciate all your advice - thanks.

2. Gotcha. Thanks.
5. What should it be? Brick/stone into a foundation?
6. Could you highlight on a photo as I've not noticed any so must be missing it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back