Kitchen extractor fan/ducting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, we have the following set up for our kitchen island -

It's an Icon 60 fan and originally had white flexi ducting running through the loft to the soffit but the ducting was full of holes (from installation) and didn't fit properly as wrong size was used.

My electrician replaced it with Addvent 100mm insulated ducting and a 150 - 100 mm reducer as fan spigot was 150mm & external grille is 100mm.

It turns out the ducting isn't fire rated (not sure what the rules are) but there is a fair distance between the hob and fan. Is this an ok set up? I've seen comments online that flexi ducting shouldn't be used with kitchen extractor fans but it seems better than what was originally used.
Correct me if im wrong but I don't suppose white flexi duct is fire retardant either & seems to be used commonly with cooker hoods.
Thanks.
1000009081.jpg

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
You can buy a metal corrugated ducting as below but in your situation I would say it is fine with what you have given the distance between the hob and the vent.

If you can get 4 inch pipe in the loft that’sa far better solution as the “ribs” in flexi duct have a big negative effect on the air flow

Sponsored Links
IMHO, I may also suggest that an iCON 60 isn't the most suitable product for a cooker hood replacement - they are far better suited as bathroom extractors.
They don't have the power, nor the cleanable grease filters, that conventional cooker hoods possess.
The opening mechanism is also elaborate, operated by a wax motor, and this may be susceptible to gumming up by grease.
A Google for "Ceiling mounted cooker hoods" will bring up some far more suitable products.

The scary thing is it was a kitchen fitter that installed it! You would think they would know better.

It's awful and very hard to know who to trust when you're getting work done

Thankfully we don't use the fan much as tend to open patio doors if there's a few pans on the go. My husband cooks & likes to watch the tv at the same time!

Good evening Emma
That set up you have isn't really satisfactory at all - although it doesn't pose a fire risk and I'd doubt if it did much extracting anyway!
Something like this: https://www.viewclickbuy.co.uk/prod...MIpZrkr9-LiAMVQ5NQBh3LszH7EAQYCCABEgIXOvD_BwE
Could fit the bill and there are many different designs.
As it's not on the ceiling, it catches the grease and grot before it hits the ceiling and the height is adjustable by cutting the vertical trunking.
The aluminium filters are great too - long gone are the stinking fabric filters of old!
Regards
John :)
P.S Lovely looking room!
J.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back