Kitchen tap aerator fallen out (Ed.)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
These bits fell into my kitchen sink from the mixer tap. I have no idea what order they should go back together in, nor do I know if the part is broken so I can reorder. I think it's called a "faucet aerator" (I'm in the UK and that's an American sounding name?), but there are loads on eBay and I can't work out which to buy as a replacement.

In particular the replacements on eBay don't seem to have a part 3 and 4 as per my image.

Very confusing.

Attachments

• 20240920_192742.jpg
    20240920_192742.jpg
    262.5 KB · Views: 18
Sponsored Links
I think 3 and 4 locate together by the central shape, and go inside 2, with 6 on top and 1 underneath (1 is currently upside down relative to how it would be in the tap), then all inside 7, 5 on top and the whole pile screwed into the tap. It probably worked loose over time and fell off, scattering its contents

When reassembled you should be able to see 1 by looking at the tap spout and 5 is the seal that stops the water bypassing it and leaking down the metal collar.

An aerator's ability to achieve reduction in water use is partly psychological and your tap will work without it if needs be.. you're free to not turn the tap on quite so much if you want to achieve a similar reduction, but the water stream won't have that shapely fluffy appearance!

If it doesn't seem to go together nicely there ain't much to lose by jiggling the order - I'm certain that 1 is the thing you see in the spout when it is all assembled, and the first device that the water hits, after the sealing washer is the fine holed disc so it's not much reordering to trial and error the other parts

Last edited:
Part 7 should screw on to the spout. If it doesn't, one of the screw threads is worn out or damaged.

If it does, remove part 7 and put the inserts into it. The rubber washer goes in last so it presses against the tap spout.

If you want a new aerator, your water company might send you a free one as it reduces flow and hence waste. I think the free ones I've seen are plastic and have a male thread, they've been for bath and basin taps.

Thanks both. I think I've managed to piece it together apart from the fact that it still wants to drop out of the bottom of the tap - which makes me think that something's broken somewhere, or that hot water has eroded something somewhere.

There appears to be a little bit of a gap between the silver outer spout (7) and the first inner dark grey ring (2). See image.

Tomorrow I might take a trip to the local shop and see if they've got a replacement. However if my memory serves correctly it was really hard to find a replacement last time as well....

Attachments

• 17268702991331540599749279344631.jpg
    17268702991331540599749279344631.jpg
    166.3 KB · Views: 0
Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back