Labours mission to get this country out of recession.

Sponsored Links
Technical recessions are OK, we are still recovering from the covid bounce. The important thing in any recession is to avoid job losses and make it as easy as possible for employers to hire talent. I currently have open roles in the UK and EU. I'm much more cautious about hiring in the EU because of the local employment laws. You also don't want to drive business to your competitor (countries).

If people lose their jobs and can't pay their mortgage and can't find another, the whole thing spirals.

Governments investing only gets you so far and if they borrow to invest then that causes inflation. if you tax to invest, that triggers budget reduction.
Interesting insight.

Taking that further where are the perks or incentives for small businesses? Corp tax relief, and or some relief around company car usage BIK etc, all completely inflexible. Throw them something to get a foothold.

Small business have the ability to be quite flexible with deductible business expenses and also under value asset transfers. e.g. new electric car sold to the employee etc. As you scale up you can create IP in a different company and charge the other company fees for licensing the IP. Some countries have low tax rates on such IP. You also have the ability to destroy/devalue an asset by attaching obligations to the purchaser that mean you've limited the market and value.

Sponsored Links
Lets take a large job provider
According to General Electric's latest financial reports the company's current revenue (TTM ) is $61.91 B. In 2023 the company made a revenue of $60.00 B a decrease over the years 2022 revenue that were of $63.06 B. The revenue is the total amount of income that a company generates by the sale of goods or services.
Net result

GEC expects 6,000 more jobs will go

Most probably done in stages or it may be exaggerated for share holders. "obviously listed companies have no influence on job opportunities in the uk"

I am intrigued to see what Labour choses to do in the up n coming budget. I see oh JohnD the wise one mentioned what tools can be used to get the country out of a recession, which we are currently in. (hair splitters Fo please we are not exactly deep in recession but scraping the barrel poor).

Weve never had less, spending down, local facilities are reduced, health care suffering, yet what did the Tories do? Oh that's right allow the BOE to put up interest rates to benefit the banks that's right lets squeeze the last pennies out of the public in interest rates, basically a banking tax on the public as none of that money goes into the UK tax payers pot remember, under the guise of 'reducing inflation' How absolutely fcked up is that? How about cap energy and household running costs that were inflaTING.

There's some pretty intelligent people on these forums, in this country in fact, is it that you earn so much money already you just roll with it??

Ok so lets ask the Oracle (no not JohnD) what a typical best practice way is to kick start an economy. All of the below seems blatantly fcking obvious. Instead i bet Labour do none of it, instead they will just 'tax the rich more'. Which is a falicy as the rich have enough money to move their money around in such a way they avoid punitive taxes believe me i see it everywhere.
Why can't a party in power just give us a break, drop the interest rates and use a flat rate Tax, tax afterall is a PERCENTAGE, the more you earn the more you pay. Where is the incentive for hard workers to earn more?
A person earning 100k pays about 6times more tax than somebody on 25k. (if i recollect i may have to revisit my stats).
You can't buy a second home anymore and rent it as you're taxed to fck.
The only routes are an ISA or Pension (pension is relying on the fact you will make it to retirement age thats not a given(!), or would you rather blow that money when you're young enough to spend it properly? No you dont get an option 25% only at 55 or the rest is Taxed)

Why doesn't the goverment just give us some credibility, and say hey ok you can go 20% flat rate tax but you pay for your own health care etc? Instead they insist on ripping every spare penny from us to spend on what? PPE Scandals Arms deals and so many other projects where money dissapears down the toilet. I would argue most of us public wanting to take our own route would spend that money far more efficiently than a public servant with no accountability in 4 years time. They don't care.

Here's what ChatGPT reckons, perhaps it should run our country????

Getting a country out of a recession typically requires a mix of policy measures aimed at stimulating economic growth, increasing employment, and restoring confidence. Here are some key techniques that governments and policymakers can use:

1. Fiscal Policy

Increased Government Spending: Governments can boost public spending on infrastructure projects, healthcare, education, and other public services. This creates jobs, stimulates demand, and can have a multiplier effect on the economy.
Tax Cuts and Incentives: Reducing taxes on individuals and businesses can increase disposable income and encourage spending and investment. Tax incentives can also stimulate specific sectors, such as renewable energy or technology.
Direct Stimulus Payments: Providing direct payments to citizens can boost consumption and help struggling households.

2. Monetary Policy

Lowering Interest Rates: Central banks can reduce interest rates to make borrowing cheaper for consumers and businesses, encouraging spending and investment.
Quantitative Easing: This involves the central bank purchasing government bonds or other financial assets to inject liquidity into the economy, lowering long-term interest rates and encouraging investment.
Credit Easing: Similar to quantitative easing, but focused on private sector assets to improve credit conditions for businesses and households.

3. Supply-Side Policies

Deregulation: Reducing unnecessary regulations can lower costs for businesses and encourage entrepreneurship and innovation.
Improving Labor Market Flexibility: Reforms to labor laws can make it easier for businesses to hire and retain workers, and for workers to find jobs that match their skills.

4. Trade and Investment Policies

Promoting Exports: Supporting export industries through subsidies, tax breaks, or improving trade agreements can help boost economic activity.
Attracting Foreign Investment: Creating a favorable environment for foreign investors can bring capital, technology, and jobs.

5. Structural Reforms

Strengthening Financial Systems: Ensuring a stable and resilient banking system can restore confidence and facilitate lending.
Investing in Education and Training: Enhancing the workforce's skills and adaptability can improve productivity and long-term growth prospects.

6. Social Policies

Social Safety Nets: Strengthening social welfare programs can support those most affected by the recession, reducing inequality and supporting aggregate demand.
Healthcare and Housing: Investing in healthcare and affordable housing can improve the overall well-being of the population and support economic stability.
Have you lost the plot ?

The BofE have reduced interest rates to 5%. Sort of change I expected actually. Their stance is certainty so best reduce slowly. LOL Sunak blames labour immediately. Some on here will take that in.

As I expected. GP's are acting up This relates to surgeries closing and patient treatment costs. Also GP's that are out of work. Contract says 25 patients a day so that is what they will do. Some were doing 45.

Interesting. Yesterday my wife had an appointment at 7-30pm. We left just before 8 and still more to do and a couple arriving. So some have been trying. Enough is enough seems to be the reason for the action. Mine is now a health centre. Several local practices joined in. One reason in our case was a retired partner dying and the family wanting the money that he had left with the practice This meant that the previous building had to be sold.

Lets take a large job provider
According to General Electric's latest financial reports the company's current revenue (TTM ) is $61.91 B. In 2023 the company made a revenue of $60.00 B a decrease over the years 2022 revenue that were of $63.06 B. The revenue is the total amount of income that a company generates by the sale of goods or services.
Net result

GEC expects 6,000 more jobs will go

Most probably done in stages or it may be exaggerated for share holders. "obviously listed companies have no influence on job opportunities in the uk"
what point are you making?

what point are you making?
In real terms a listed company that offered a lot of jobs that at some point runs into "problems" and the usual reaction.

However I'm out of date. The reason I looked was because I know a number of people that got jobs there when what they were working on folded, all engineers. Also interviewing some one who worked in their train arm, software and electronics who though that work for him was starting to dry up. They were into all sorts of areas and employed a lot.

It looks like they have been mopped up by BAE. They employ ~46,000 in the UK. When they do this sort of thing they generally grab what can be seen as loosely defence/aero related and ditch the rest so we end up dropping out of sectors and loosing jobs. Much the same happened with ICI for a different reason. A hero in charge of the place just said this area cant compete with imports so ditched them. A say hero as the same bloke was on a BBC show where smaller businesses talked to him His usual answer was much the same. General public view what a wonderful guy.

In other countries there is more of a tendency for them to sort themselves out and strive on.

Sponsored Links
Back