Last UK coal fired power station closes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I’m remember driving past Ratcliffe on Soar power station back in the day. And the 250 thousand tons of coal that was stored there. Was it wise to close it down (and the pits that supplied it) when the threat from Russsia etc could make home grown power essential in the future

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Sun?
Wind?
Tides?
Is the zero carbon technology replacing coal on the site, any cheaper than carbon capture technology? And what if the alternative green technologies fail, doesn't it make sense to have a range of energy supplies.

Is the zero carbon technology replacing coal on the site, any cheaper than carbon capture technology? And what if the alternative green technologies fail, doesn't it make sense to have a range of energy supplies.
Carbon capture is extortionate. The largest one installed was only 240MW and was shut down after a billion dollars was sunk into it. Very roughly it costs £50 per MWh for coal, in theory at least since it has never been done on a large enough scale or anywhere near that price. I saw one estimate of $200 per MWh.

I'm all for a range of supplies but coal isn't going to be one of them.

Is the zero carbon technology replacing coal on the site, any cheaper than carbon capture technology?

I don't know, but it almost certainly will be, over an extended lifespan.

Plus, fossil fuels are not inexhaustible, and we are - coal excepted - not self-sufficient in them.
We can be self-sufficient in renewables.
And what if the alternative green technologies fail, doesn't it make sense to have a range of energy supplies.

Of course it makes sense to have a portfolio of sources, but IMO that shouldn't detract from the basic premise that we should aim for being as renewable and self-sufficient as possible.

Had a look around Ratcliffe on a school trip and the size of those chimneys impressed the heck out o' me. Not so keen on the smell of the place or the clouds o' crap they spat up in the air.

1960: The UK emitted 448 million metric tons of carbon dioxide (MtCO₂) from coal use
2022: The UK emitted less than 20 MtCO₂ from coal use, a 5.6% drop from 2021

Old King Coal has had his day and made a fine mess of things. Time for renewable energy to take the strain of fuelling economic growth. The cost will be high in the short term but cheaper in the long run and will provide cleaner air for future generations. Go green or go home. :mrgreen:

Based on current technology, I wonder what quantity and mix of sun, water and wind contraptions we'd need to fully meet our energy needs? Someone somewhere must have crunched the numbers.

It is quite right that we are trying and doing the right thing- we must move away from fossil fuels, in particular COAL

MEANWHILE

It was built to transport coal from Inner Mongolia and Shanxi to China's southern provinces at up to 200 million tons a year.

coal aside - isn't China's infrastructure just amazing - what a feat of engerneering

Power cut's this winter then, what with that and the shutting down of gas exploration the future is anything but rosy.
It's interesting, I received a letter/leaflet a couple of weeks back from my energy supplier re proactive things the household can do to plan for power outages. I'm not saying I've never received such a communication previously, however if I have it must be years back as I don't recall.

Based on current technology, I wonder what quantity and mix of sun, water and wind contraptions we'd need to fully meet our energy needs? Someone somewhere must have crunched the numbers.

New renewable generation capacity needs to be built to replace ageing fossil fuel and nuclear power plants and power the additional demand for electric vehicles and heating. According to the National Grid’s Future Energy Scenarios, on average, there is a need to increase renewable capacity from 40GW in 2019 to 88GW in 2030 and 186GW in 2050.

Sponsored Links
Back