LED floodlights failing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all. I fitted a fitted a LED floodlight in my local pub (in a sheltered area down the side of the pub used for storage). I was replacing an old halogen fitting that had weak bulb springs. Whenever the door slammed the bulb would work loose. The first LED floodlight lasted about 3 months. The replacement lasted about 2 months. From memory it is the following.

Usage is probably 14 hours per week. It is screwed into what I think is a tall concrete lintel. I had to use a SDS drill and did not see any brick dust when drilling about 60mm deep.

Any suggestions as to why they are failing so quickly?

Sponsored Links
Replace with Collingwood units

I will suggest it. The bar manager is happy to pay for quality, but his father, the owner is more, erm, frugal.

For now, the manager will return the faulty unit for a refund/immediate replacement today. In theory, so long as it never lasts more than 12 months he could carry on doing that for ages.

I don't have a SDS drill with me today. The great thing about the other light is that the fitting slides on to the wall bracket. Additionally it has the ability to twist left to right.

I omitted to mention that with both lights, when they stop "working" the LED cells become incredibly dim. Only when it is dark can you see them glowing slightly.

I omitted to mention that with both lights, when they stop "working" the LED cells become incredibly dim. Only when it is dark can you see them glowing slightly.

Failed driver/PSU. When switch mode circuits fail, you either seem to get a failure mode where it goes to start up, but cannot maintain the output so falls over and starts again resulting in pulsing, or doesn't even get anywhere near full output and just outputs a very small voltage that can sometimes cause LEDs to glow dimmly.

Sponsored Links
I got some 100w led floods from china "Where many are made" & replaced the floods around the house. I needed 5 at £12 each. At that price i purchased 8 & over 3 years i have used the spare 3 i had. Not as long lasting as promised.

Both my son and I have fitted LED lamps, mine have lasted in the main reasonably well. Had some fail well before the should, but of the 50 odd bulbs, had around 5 fail, my son however has had far more fail, the main difference between the two homes, is mine has SPD fitted in consumer units, his does not.

I am not saying lack of SPD is the cause of his failing, but we basic have no idea of what spikes there are on any supply, and without them we have to accept we are taking a chance.

Failed driver/PSU. When switch mode circuits fail, you either seem to get a failure mode where it goes to start up, but cannot maintain the output so falls over and starts again resulting in pulsing, or doesn't even get anywhere near full output and just outputs a very small voltage that can sometimes cause LEDs to glow dimmly.
In my case it was RGB COBs and one colour did this on 2 of the 4 units. The supplier refused to do anything until I sent a video of the 2 units side by side with a good one and going through the remote control settings.

Of course I had to have a look at the replaced units and found the psu/controller was good and happily controlled the other colours when I swapped wires around. I purchased 4 replacement COBs and still have 2 'in stock'.

However I don't know if it was relevant but the t failed units had no heatsink compound and checked that the others do.

V TAC floodlight are good ….Samsung chipset and 5 year warranty …..if a company offers 5 years they are normally confident on the product

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back