Liability Insurance

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
Is there a requierment in the regulations or elswhere for a minimum amount of cover for Public liability?
Albert

Sponsored Links
phil_ballard said:
Why? What have you done?? :eek:

Give me a chance..not yet!!!
I have insurance for my previous job, (10 years as self employed), I wanted to check whether this insurance is ok to cover electrics work.

before you ask! yes I added elecrical work in the cover... which is 10 million for employers liability and 1 million for public liability.
Albert

No, Albert, but Part P has a requirement for it, and also a warranty, which will have to be backed by an insurance co.

Sponsored Links
securespark said:
No, Albert, but Part P has a requirement for it, and also a warranty, which will have to be backed by an insurance co.

Hi, simon
Do they say how much it should be?

You mean you;ve never gone to the ODPM site to read about Part P?

Anyway - AFAIK, Part P itself doesn't require PLI or warranties (could be wrong though), but NICEIC do as part of their competent person certification scheme. Think the PLI is £2M.

ban-all-sheds said:
You mean you;ve never gone to the ODPM site to read about Part P?

Anyway - AFAIK, Part P itself doesn't require PLI or warranties (could be wrong though), but NICEIC do as part of their competent person certification scheme. Think the PLI is £2M.

yes I did and I have downloaded the copy, would you like one...?
;)

The figure £2m repeats itself, so I need to increase my cover level.

Just wondered, if you had a copy, why you were asking what it said.

I've also downloaded it, thanks, and as soon as I can find some soft absorbent paper that will go in a laser printer I'm going to print off a few copies.... :evil:

ban-all-sheds said:
Just wondered, if you had a copy, why you were asking what it said.

I've also downloaded it, thanks, and as soon as I can find some soft absorbent paper that will go in a laser printer I'm going to print off a few copies.... :evil:
I did not ask what it said, my question was whether there is a specific figure that is required for liability insurance, and the original goes like this:
Is there a requierment in the regulations or elswhere for a minimum amount of cover for Public liability?
Albert

Albert I think the minimum you can buy is £1M. A lot of bodies ask for 2M.

Ban

Don't think PP stipulates re insurance, but if you look at what the NIC propose re PP, they want insurance-backed warranties to be offered before accreditation will be given.

I can smell something funny, can you?

Govt. lays down principles of PP, and other up the ante by putting more and more conditions in the "deal". Then of course, everyone else has to keep up so they add it to their list, too.

I'm not anti legislation, but when will this growing list stop?

Iagree,
Isn't it always the case, when ignorant politicians together with 'spin doctors' want to look and sound good instead doing good...?
In any case it seems that my cover is ok.

Bu as for the cost of an insurance-backed warranty, who knows? Anyone done any research?

securespark said:
Bu as for the cost of an insurance-backed warranty, who knows? Anyone done any research?

I notice you've use this phrase several times and I'm not disputing it, but I've only ever seen in NICEIC literature that "customers must be offered a warranty". Where does it stipulate that this warranty be backed by any other insurance than public liability?

Actually, while we're on that topic, has anybody else noticed from NICEIC's FAQ's that while their Domestic Installer scheme is, as yet, unrecognised, it appears to need the same competencies and qualifications as for Approved Contractor and will cost around the same to enroll yet will not confer Approved Contractor status?

Seems to me that any spark will still have only the Approved Contractor option and Domestic Installer is there to swell the NICEIC ranks with applications from kitchen fitters and extension builders. Discuss...

Been in touch with NIC & ECA, and they told me it should be insurance-backed.....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back